It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
a good day---so far!

Yes,had to put so far as it`s only just luchtime......but it has been ok,took my husband grocery shopping today,then for some icecream and then my son & I took him for a swim for an hour.Water was lovely and warm and he was happy bopping up and down with his lifevest on....I`m so glad we live in Barbados now,we`ve been here since 1992,before that we lived in a flat in London with no garden or anything.If we were still there,we`d be stuck inside so much more----here,even if we don`t go anywhere,we can still be outside.Good for both of us!
He was just telling me that some people are being buried in our garden (so much for "thank God we have a garden") so I told him that it was a mistake,they are leaving and going to find a cemetery instead.....he does not look like he`s believing me though,must be more convincing......I wish more of his hallucinations were pleasant ones!Although yesterday he said there`s a 15-year-old girl who wants to sleep over but I must tell her to go as she already tried to sleep with a 90-year-old man.....where does all this stuff come from?Love to you all xxxxxand thanks for all the advice,I appreciate it!

The following user gives a hug of support to aviovaimo:
ninamarc (09-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: a good day---so far!

barbados sounds wonderful. i dont know where the mind takes them, but i have noticed when they come up with things its usually negative. i think it must be some kind of fear.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I am so glad it has been a good day so far... and hope it continues to be a good day followed by more good days!! We can always hope

Yep, I will take the great outdoor any day. One of the priorities when I moved Mom here was somewhere we could be outside. There is a great enclosed courtyard with an arbor covered with Wisteria and a figure "8" walking path. They have recently changed the fencing to a more open fence which gives it a much better feel than it is and overlooks the lake. She loves it outside... with or without me. I just wish the ocean was close enough for a quick trip because she loves it so. That is the last place I took her before she left home.

As for where the things in their mind comes from... WOW... who knows! I did understood Dad's need to check on the little boys who were his brothers. He did that as a child. I understood his trip to the court house to find me at 6 am in 13 degrees. But I never did understand any of the other paranoia situations he created in his mind. They were usually fearful attacks or horrible situations. I think some were connected to his childhood or military days but can not be sure. As for Mom's recent child in the bushes... That would probably be me lol I was rather mischievous as a child! Most of her delusions so far have been directly related to being pregnant or having babies. One day she talked about my brother!! (I have only sisters). Then she was pregnant and we figured it must be a boy... my baby brother? Her delusions do mix with reality and she takes care of the baby dolls in the facility. It's cute to watch her put one to bed and then walk off while she shushes me to be quiet I hope all of her delusions stay this way and not the paranoia and fear that Dad had. I do find it interesting to try to connect what they are "seeing" to some situation, event, or time in their life. Mental exercise while we are wandering around!

Love, deb

Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
(female)

Interesting---trying to connect some of the things thst they see with events in their lives.....I`ll have a go without analyzing everything to death because some things just don`t make sense.....few weeks ago it was about a farting pig or about a goat sleeping in the bathroom,those seem to be forgotten now,there were babies at one point as well,there are ALWAYS men doing work on the house or garden and so on,,,,,,things change,or rather the obsession changes.I wonder about him sometimes bacause when he was much younger(before I knew him) he said he used to "travel" in his sleep and he could tell things that people were doing thousands of miles away.He had some kind of gift.He could also always tell if a family member was pregnant because he ALWAYS dreamt of little fish.....I may be straying into weird places here but could it be that he can actually see something,not just because his brain is turning into mush? I hope I don`t rock any boats here,just wondering what you guys think about all this.I`m in no way trying to say that his condition is not AD because I`m sure it is,I just wonder if there`s an added dimension there.There`s a lot more about his past and some of his familymembers I could write about but I don`t think it`s relevant here.As recently as February when the GP called to say there was a lesion in his left femur,I made sure I took the phonecall where he could not hear me.When I finished,I went to see him and he asked me why I put on the radio with funeral music playing---no radio was on.Later on he said a lady in a white gown stood by his bed and watched him--a peaceful experience.I`ll leave it there before I get really going.....Goodnight all
P.S. The rest of the day has been pretty good as well--he had a nap(sea does it),did some sandpapering(used to be a joiner) and ate his dinner with gusto (good chef?).Maybe I should start a diary and write all this stuff down,I may want to read it one day.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I found what you said here extremely interesting and there are some things we just don't know. I was a skeptic at one point in my life... but not so much any more I do know that with dementia patients they have difficulty separating dreams, visions, delusions, and reality. Whatever is in their mind is real to them no matter where it comes from.

My paternal grandmother was very "intuitive". I have had a few moments as well. I chalked it up to coincidence just because it was an easy explanation for the unexplainable. Then I met my good friend who turned out to be an intuitive. That is when my skepticism was questions. Then recently I have an intuitive, who was a complete stranger, give me information there was no way he could know. I am just convinced that there is more than we understand. So if hubby is truly an intuitive then he will have difficulties separating what he sees on different levels. It will all be reality to him. Nobody will know what part is what.. and he has no clue. I would find it even more interesting to try to figure out all that goes on in his mind You can't let it frustrate you but it is interesting mental gymnastics.

I am glad the rest of the day went as well as the morning and hope the night continues. Every good day is a blessing

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
(female)

I just HAD to add this: After my husband woke up properly following his operation,he related this story: he felt that he was under water,climbing up a rope,and there were other people around as well.It seemed like a long,long climb and he was getting tired.Then he met his Mum (who passed in 1983) and he asked her if he was dead,She told him that he was alive and he kept climbing until he reached the surface of the water.....This is the only thing that he remembers from his time in the hospital,everything else is confused.I just love it!When he woke up,after pulling out the IV etc.,the first thing he asked me as well was: are we dead?

Old 09-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

He was just making sure the effort was necessary and he came back to you Perhaps he sees you as his heaven/angel!

There was one incident that baffled me for a few days. Dad kept talking about a sheep. I ask if he has sheep when he as a child on the farm and he looked at me as if I should know that they didn't. So where did the delusions of the sheep come from. We also had hog killings and mules and other farm animals which I related back to his days on the farm but the sheep were a mystery. He talked about this sheep for several days. Finally I ask Dad..."Just where is this sheep you keep seeing"? He walked over to the nativity scene and picked it up!! I rolled in the floor laughing. So sometimes... it's not a delusion at all. You just can't see what they see... because it's little and standing beside baby Jesus!

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
aviovaimo (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

My... It is spooky. Your husband is creative and has this psychic power....

My FIL does not care about death that much except that once he asked to resurrect his late wife (as he saw the urn.) Now it is not near him anymore and he does not care to talk about death. Now he does not talk much... All he wanted to talk about was his fake work and wanting cash.

Everyone is different. Maybe you should consider shielding him from some bad influence or bad atmosphere... Maybe he was interested in this kind of issues before. Maybe he thinks he is dying and is worried about it.

My FIL did once think that the hosptial wanted to kill him. Well he recovered and came home thinking he was to die??? He asked where is his burial place??? Later on he stopped talking about it. But in general now he thinks he will die just like that... He thinks people can just put him to death, not that he wants us to do that, no no no...
Nothing we can do except that we ignore him.

Take care,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-05-2011 at 10:58 AM.

Closed Thread