It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
Smile good day came to an end!

Well I knew it would have to happen---the good day could not last forever.The evening was not too bad but then he hardly slept during the night and I found him at 6 am folding up t-shirts and underwear because he was convinced that police was coming for both of us,we had to go to court and we needed clothes in case we were thrown in jail......I managed to re-assure him that I would sort the "mess" out,no court,no jail,and he went to sleep.I`m glad he did as I was feeling emotially a bit fragile and I spent some time grieving---I guess for him but also for someone who passed away due to crack addiction 2 weeks ago.It was good to let the emotions out and not have to be strong 24/7.I was also able to go to a meditation meeting last night which always helps.
Last night was not too bad,he slept fitfully but slept and is still sleeping .I propably should be snoozing too but I treasure the time alone.It`s quiet except for the crickets and the roosters and the dawn is just breaking....
May you guys have a blessed day

Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User
Re: good day came to an end!

Many nights I stayed up with my mom when she was still at home. She was slways doing her book work and reports. This had to do with the job she had in retail. She is in a nursing home now under the care of Hospice. I would not still be able to function if I didn't have help, as it wears you down little by little. Try to take care of yourself and get all the help that is available. Thanks for sharing and you know we are always here to support you.

Hugs
Gail

The following user gives a hug of support to aras:
aviovaimo (09-06-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

It is everyday struggle for you. It is harder when he can just get up and go like that... It is difficult to watch him 24 hours.

If you cannot sleep well, maybe sometimes you can get help. A part-time sitter. Some caregivers know how to deal with dementia.

Give yourself a break. It is nice reading your posts knowing that it is not easy to do this.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-06-2011 at 07:53 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

aviovaimo... the one thing about this disease is that nothing last! The good or the bad. It all comes and goes before we truly get connected. You are doing good. There is nothing wrong with feeling. It is what we do with it that matters and you seem to have a handle on it.

As for the sleeping. A night time caregiver for a few night a week might be an option to give you the rest you need. Another suggestion is to try Melatonin. It is a naturally occurring chemical that gives us our sleep pattern. It is diminished in the elderly and even more so in dementia patients. It is an over the counter product here. Mom was a chronic night walker who rarely slept during the day so she was exhausting herself. I started her on Melatonin at bedtime a few months back and she is sleeping so very much better. It doesn't have the harsh chemical after effect and doesn't add to his confusion or drowsiness during the day as many pharmaceutical sleep aids. There is also some new information that it may even help with sundowning but that is inconclusive at this time. It might be worth trying

I hope the good returns and kudo's to you for recognizing your emotions and dealing with them

Love, Deb

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am glad you are venting. its good for you. a caregiver might be a possibility for you for short periods of time.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User

Thanks for your advice---I took it and was pleasantly surprised!

Closed Thread