It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
morning has broken

Good morning everyone!We both had a good sleep last night,my son had to leave for work extra early and I never even heard him leave......I am having my first cup of coffee and getting my attitude right for the day.That is so important.My perception really can make the day so much worse......Hubby can not do much about his perception of things but I can do plenty of mine! I`ve noticed how sometimes molehills become mountains only in my head.Thoughts become things.Yes I know I sound a bit philosophical this morning but I have some of these tools to cope and sometimes I forget to use them......
I appreciate the idea of a sitter/caregiver to help but I don`t know if I need one yet.I would have to find the right person as well and at the mo money is not so abundant either.But I will keep it in mind and at least it`s good to have that option.My stepdaughter is hoping to come back in November and help a bit again.Also 2 of his older kids(older than me!) are flying in for his birthday -18.9.-they will stay in a hotel but they`ll be around.I will check out the Melatonin as well.
I feel good knowing that you guys are out there prepared to share understanding and encouragement.It makes me feel less separated and less alone.I KNOW I`m not alone but there goes the head again.....my mind can be my worst enemy so often.Must try to live from the heart today and give my mind the boot!Today`s experiences have value which I may not see until much later.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: morning has broken

Call it what you want to but you are absolutely right. Your perception does make your day. Life is not what happens to us but what we do about it and that is determined by how we react which is determined by what frame of mind we are in.

If the baby takes a hand full of mashed potatoes and ends up with them all over him there are two outcomes.... 1) if we are running late for an appointment it becomes a frustration 2) if we are in a leisurely mood it becomes funny. Yes, our perception and frame of mind colors everything we do. So working on your perception and frame of mind is exactly how you make your day the best it can be!!

Glad you have a support system!!.. and you have thought about options. Always have options. Just don't wait too long to get help on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be every day. But we do tend to "hang on". The other consideration, he will need to adjust to somebody else in the house. Starting slowly and not waiting until it is a full time need does help.

Thanks for helping me get my frame of mind in order.... we can do this day!!

Love, deb

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

So you know everyday is going to be different. It helps if you keep a journal and write down what your husband did strangely or what actions he took. It helps to pinpoint the issues and you can talk to the doctor/nurse/caregiver about it.
I can understand it is also the money. It is expensive to hire a caregiver. You want to keep him at home as much as possible. We did it with my FIL - he had stayed home with AD for at least 7 years! It is not easy. Back home, it is an open environment so my FIL got crazier and he took no sedatives so it was hard for caregivers although now we can recall many funny stories...
It is not easy at home because he gets more confused. Sometimes a controlled environment helps. It is your call.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-07-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

you are never alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to debbie g:
aviovaimo (09-07-2011)
Closed Thread