It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
hello

Just came to say hello to everyone----today is rainy,gloomy and COOL as tropical depression Maria is passing through.It`s nice not to sweat for a change! Yesterday the electricity went off for about 4 hours and it was hot,humid and windless----I had to really practice some patience with my husband as he wanted to call the phone company,call the neighbours to report a fallen tree,insisted on getting some phonenumber I did not have......why is it so hard to be kind and serene when you`re hot and uncomfortable! I don`t know where the resources came from but I managed to remain (fairly) calm so hubby would not pick up the bad vibe.......it`s amazing how one lets the outside circumstances affect you so much.....anyway,I`m thankful for the coolness today---and the electricity!Such is life......

Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: hello

I am sorry that the weather is not working well in your area. It is the hurricane season.

About the phone your husband is trying to dial...

It is best if you can take over the phone and ask him not to handle it if possible. Take the phone away from him - in your own pocket or your hiding place... In your husband's case, you have to be in control - don't let him call whoever. It has to be your call for emergency.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-11-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Avio... what a day!! Anything out of the ordinary does make your husband's anxiety worse. Routine is his friend and that's hard to maintain in tropical storm conditions I am sure he wanted to "fix" it. You are also thrown into chaos and have his anxiety on top of it to deal with. Add in the fact that it is hot and humid which makes us uncomfortable. Yep, What a day!!! Despite it all, it sounds like you managed to get through the day and on to a cooler better day.

Discomfort makes it more difficult to cope with difficult situations. Situations such as the one yesterday takes a tole on you. When we don't feel well, we don't perform as well. Hot is not feeling well. I makes you lethargic and you don't think as quickly. It takes away your patience. Throw on top of that the anxiety you feel because of the power outage and storm. Yep, you did well

We do control our world by controlling how we react to situations. It is not always easy, especially on those days that everything seems to be going in the wrong direction... but it does work.

As for the hurricanes/tropical storms this season... WOW!! Our coast was slammed my Irene and our mountains were soaked by Lee. I just hope Maria takes that turn to the right and misses our coast. Glad you are safely through this one... and wishing you cooler calm weather for a while

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aviovaimo (09-09-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Avio...you are doing extremely well in a bad situation. Others can learn from you. We know how difficult it is to remain calm and then to have to deal with a storm too!!!

I hope you are able to take care of yourself and get outside help from time to time.

Love, Meg

The following user gives a hug of support to meg1230:
aviovaimo (09-10-2011)
Closed Thread