It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

aviovaimo HB Useraviovaimo HB User
I`m still here!

Haven`t written for a couple of days(I think!) so decided to touch base with you all.hubby has gone to visit a neighbour which gives me a little time just to sit down,have a coffee and surf the net-----loooveelyyy.....
We`ve had up-down-up-down days but I guess that`s the norm.Yesterday he took a looong walk on the beach and spent an hour in the sea which exhausted him--yippee--it`s so much better when he`s busy doing stuff,not so much time to hallucinate! He still keeps asking me if we have to go to court but I just keep telling him we have not done anything wrong--no crime,no punishment---and that seems to pacify him--until the next time....His birthday is next Sunday and it will be nice to have some of his older kids around for a few days.And good for them to see as well in person what`s going on.
I am trying to enjoy these good times that we can still have now when he`s not completely "gone",I guess that will rear it`s ugly head sooner or later.There are few jokey moments as well although not so many anymore.Yesterday I had to repeat some stuff and he said "all that thundering in my ear,I`d be better off sleeping".He seems to like it when I laugh----only sometimes it`s hard to find something to laugh about!
I`m just rambling on here now,better call it quits before I start sounding like I have dementia(who knows?).Hugs to all of you out there!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: I`m still here!

Rambling is good Sometimes we just need to get it out and that's ok! Yes, they are better when you can keep them busy physically and they don't have the time to sit and brood. Their brains don't function well and don't multitask well. Keeping them engaged is the best... but we do wear out ourselves. Just be glad you have a kind neighbor that is willing to engage with him and give you a wonderful break! That is a priceless blessing!

I hope his birthday celebration goes well. Keep it small and quiet keeping as much of his routine as possible. Let the kids join him rather than expecting him to join the kids and it will work better.

Don't rush what is coming... do what you are doing and enjoy the moments you have with him now. Know it will probably not come on suddenly but over time. Good days and bad days are the norm. As time goes on the good days are not as good and the not so good days are a little worse. That is just how this disease progresses unless there is a traumatic or medical event that creates the rapid decline.

Please keep the sense of humor and the ability to laugh. Take something not quite so funny and turn it into humor. Keep your smile and he will be more likely to have one as well. Laugh and he will follow you. Just today Mom ask about her Mother. I know from her past that she and her Mom did not have a good relationship. I just looked at her, smiles, and said ..."Why would you want to go see your Mom?!" Mom actually broke out in a huge smile and said... "I don't!" We both laughed. In that small moment I actually had my Mom back. Just a brief moment but it is one to carry with me because there are not many of those these days. So even something negative can be a laugh moment.

I hope the good days continue and are at least more frequent than the not so good days

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Good to hear from you. Glad you got a break for coffee and internet Deb said it all - better than I could. Just wanted to say hi and keep on posting - and yes - venting is VERY important! That's pretty much all I've been doing on here lately

Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

so glad you had time for yourself. the walks on the beach sounds wonderful and it keeps him busy. hang in there.

Closed Thread