It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Gerrie Chair Virus Wheelchair?

so the meds are doing their job and my mom seems to have settled down to a fairly predictalble schedule, that is for now, what I was wondering is that during the time my mom was acting out she was in a gerry chair (almost three months) not only for her protection but so she could be managed, now it seems that she is doing pretty good but because of the long stints in the gerrie chair she is not walking very good.. I am not sure weather this is the disease marching forward or that it may be just easier for the nurses to have her in the gerrie chair, I find myselve putting her in the chair and then putting on the tray and it really is easier but is it better?? I am thinking that I will try my mom out in a wheelchair and see what happens. it is easyer for me to get her out of and I think it would promote more freedom for my mom.. such as stretching her legs, movement and so on. my mom is getting really comfortable in the gerrie chair and this has me worried a little bit, I feel it is the same as if she was in bed and just so comfortable with it that she doesn't want to get out even if she could!! your input and thoughts on this would greatly help me. am I hoping for something that just isn't anymore...

judy

Old 01-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Gerrie Chair Virus Wheelchair?

Not walking does deteriorate the ability to walk. Sometimes this is a gerrie chair restriction for their own safety, or being bed ridden from an illness, or in a wheel chair because of instability. Once the ability to walk has deteriorated it is difficult to regain it. It is difficult for them to "relearn". The learning pathways of the brain are just not there.

But the other thing to consider is that the ability to walk deteriorated just as the emotional stability deteriorated. Walking, just as emotional stability, ability to feed ones self, and all other forms of cognition are deteriorating simultaneously. Yes, the gerrie chair restriction may have accelerated the inability to walk but the main culprit may have been the disease itself.

If she likes the gerrie chair then why not use it? She may find a sense of security in the nest of the gerrie chair. You can try a wheel chair and see how she does in it if you want. I doubt it will lead to her walking again, and I doubt she will learn how to be mobile in it but there is no harm in trying. You can then make a decision as to which is more comfortable for her and which helps her contentment.

remember there are no right and wrong answers... And if what you try doesn't work you can always go back.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Re: Gerrie Chair Virus Wheelchair?

you are the voice of reason, why try to fix something that is not broken!! thanks again for being a great sounding board....

judy

Closed Thread