It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

Suzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB User
Chuckle for the Day :-)

Members who have read posts about my Aunt might recall that she is quite histrionic and prone to high levels of confabulation, while at the same time retaining a lot of her social skills and ability to "convince".

Today we found out that my aunt, whose first name is Clara, has been affectionately nicknamed at the nursing home as "Clara Bernhardt."

We got a big kick out of that and I thought it might bring a chuckle to others and a light moment on what can be a dark and difficult path!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Chuckle for the Day :-)

Suzi,

Your aunt surely is one tough lady! I had to laugh when you described in the other thread how your aunt pretended to have a fit to scare off the unwelcome visitor! My FIL has never done that - he likes visitors unless they don't do what he wants to do.

She still has the intelligence to know how to fake it and etc. I think this means a lot to family sometimes. It is better than being idle after all.

Thanks for the laugh!

Hugs,
Nina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

that is so great, thanks for the chuckle... as i rolled my mom by the nurses station yesterday she asked one of the nurses how was her sex life

judy

Last edited by jagsmu; 01-12-2012 at 08:42 AM.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Judy, your Mom was in a good mood then? How is your Mom? Are you still waiting for a home for her?

Hugs,
Nina

Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

yes we are still waiting, waiting, waiting....... now that we have her meds somewhat under control and her modes are much better, she is not acting out as "much" life is a little easier. thank you so much for asking. it is now coming up to 90 days of waiting. when you say it fast it doesn't seem like much but when you have been there every day it seems a lifetime.

judy

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I also got a good chuckle just when I needed it!! THANK YOU! Yes, you have to find the humor or go batty yourself. Mom never fails to give me at least one chuckle when I am there... if I look for it.

One misconception is that someone with a degenerative brain disease loses their intelligence. This is far from the truth. The sensory input, ability to reason, and the ability to take what they perceive and process it is impaired, but the intelligence remains. That is why Mom was able to hide her inabilities for so long. That is why she was able to "fake it" when she was unable to process what was going on or know what to do. It is why she was able to take a limited input and processing ability and weave a confabulation that was believable. Nope, they don't lose their intelligence

Jags, 90 days in the continuum of our lives doesn't seem like a long time but when you are dealing with Mom waiting for placement and all that goes with that... it seems like an eternity! I hope very day that we will get a post that your Mom is moving to a wonderful place. Just know it will happen. In the mean time you do have Mom in a better place emotionally which is good. You have done good! As I have said before... there will be a time when this is just a memory and I hope that time comes for you soon!

Love, deb

Closed Thread