It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
walking

awhile ago I posted a question on alz. and their ability to walk or not. I was sure that my mom was losing her ability to walk, for a couple of days there was no way she was getting out of her chair, even to go to the bathroom was a real effort, on both. I was worried that she was losing the strength in her legs, or maybe she was just getting to the point that she was forgetting how to walk and then entering another stage... yesterday my mom was up and walking and feeling fine... she strutted down past the nurses station not only with my dad but again with me. she was a little shaky but she hung onto the walker and pushed it and traversed around all the objects in the hall way, stopped to say hello to who ever was close, got into the stuff on the counter at the nurses station and generally enjoyed her walk. I was so proud of her, not sure who's face was lit up more, mine or hers....Another weekend is here, as they do not place anyone on the weekends I have begun to really hate saturdays and sundays, but then comes mondays and hope returns!!!!!

Last edited by jagsmu; 01-14-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: walking

good for you! my mom was fast at walking at first at the nh. but after a while she became frightened. she would put her head down so she couldnt see and then started bumping into things. we got her a walker but she still did not lift her head. the walk became so slow. heres to mondays!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: walking

They do that Jags and it's enough to drive you crazy!! You decide it's the beginning or the end and once you get your head wrapped around it they change directions. Mom has done similar. Leaning to one side, getting up and down with great difficulty, walking slowly, sitting more than walking..... and a few days later she's up and going again. She will play with her food for a few days and never manage to get anything to her mouth. Then she will sit there and eat with a fork with no problem. It's enough to make you think you are going nuts! Today she was not eating so I did feed her. She struggled to get up but once up she pattered off with one of the care managers. It amazes me how that little tiny lady (less than 100 pounds) that is all skin and bones, can even keep herself vertical let alone walk. She continues to amaze me with her determination and resilience.

Hopefully Monday will bring good news... and if not one day very soon Hang in there. It is better than it was and will get even better!

Love, deb

Closed Thread