It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Break out the Chocolates A Placement!!!!!

just got the news, My mom's placement has finally come through, she will be transfering on MONDAY.... yayayayayayayayya, if all goes well... i do not know all the details yet but there are bells a-ringing, and phone calls to make, yahoooooooooo time to break into those christmas chocolates...............

judy...

Last edited by jagsmu; 01-19-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Break out the Chocolates A Placement!!!!!

Throwing confetti! YEAH!!!! It will all go by as a blur until all is settled in but I am so very happy for you and your Mom Hold on to your chocolate and get ready for the ride!! I am excited for you.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

I just realized that anyone who did not know what is going on must think I am nuts. When most are dreading their loved ones being placed in a home, here I am celibrating... Please if you are confused check out my other posts on my mom and me...this has been 3 and half of the longest months that I have ever lived...A hospital is no place for someone with Alz./dementica...

judy

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Judy,

Good for you! Congratulations! Hope she will like the new place better.

Now you can sleep better this weekend! Hope the move will be smooth!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I had to chuckle at your last post Judy I understand your excitement. This is not what was want for our loved ones but when it is needed it is a reason to celebrate. It is a good moment in a bad situation and we have to relish those as well. I did a happy dance when I learned that it was possible to move Mom and Dad where Mom is now. It is all about celebrating what is best for Mom. It has made me smile for you and your Mom.

I will say that things are changing in Mom's facility... and definitely for the better. We have a new nurse who is on the ball. We have a new ED that is dynamite! She's resolved more problems in two weeks (even with the facility under quarantine for the virus) than I have seen resolved in the last year! We have a second LEM in the locked unit who does nothing but activities all day. She started today. And they are interviewing some excellent candidates for the new locked unit coordinator. It has been a month of changes and they are all positive so far Good things do come to those who wait!... and press for changes!

Love, deb

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I understand sometimes people may wonder if this is a good decision to be placed. However a good home is better than a hospital! Now you can do what you have to do for your Mom!

When we got the opening for my FIL's NH, we were relieved. Although we were concerned how he would behave in the NH, we moved him anyway. It was a good change for him.

Sure hope you will see some positive changes for your Mom!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

just had a long talk with the head of the unit that mom will be transfering into, I told them straight that my mom does have issues and can be a handful and her reply was "that is what we are here for" music to my ears. there are 2 nurses on 24/7, with rca's coming during the day, this is a twelve bed unit, single rooms, that makes it 1 per six patient ratio during the night and upto 1 per 3 patient ratio during the day. they have an activaty dir. for just this unit and activities are during the morning and then again during the afternoon. this care home is only 15 minute drive for my dad, it is a little farther away for me, maybe 3/4 hour drive virus the 20 minute drive that I have been making everyday. we have 24 hour access to my mom if needed, we can even stay the night if it is called for. this just gets better and better....

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsmu View Post
just had a long talk with the head of the unit that mom will be transfering into, I told them straight that my mom does have issues and can be a handful and her reply was "that is what we are here for" music to my ears. there are 2 nurses on 24/7, with rca's coming during the day, this is a twelve bed unit, single rooms, that makes it 1 per six patient ratio during the night and upto 1 per 3 patient ratio during the day. they have an activaty dir. for just this unit and activities are during the morning and then again during the afternoon. this care home is only 15 minute drive for my dad, it is a little farther away for me, maybe 3/4 hour drive virus the 20 minute drive that I have been making everyday. we have 24 hour access to my mom if needed, we can even stay the night if it is called for. this just gets better and better....
Sounds very good! 1 caregiver per 3 patients is pretty good. Where my FIL is, they have 1 caregiver per 4 patients 24/7 with shifts.

Sometimes it helps if you voice more with the directors about some issues you may have. For us, we are lucky to have this wonderful home for my FIL, but still at times we had to complain about the razor, wheelchair's height, the cushion, the walker and etc. They have many patients/residents and may not focus on your own, so it helps to get attention! Sometimes we observe better than the staff because we pay 100% attention to our own elders.

Good luck!
Nina

Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That sounds just wonderful Judy and I love the director's answer to your concern. I am sure you are excited I am excited for you!! I am sure they are accustomed to dealing with patient adjustment and disease related behaviors. Once you get her moved in... take a day off please!!!... or a few

Love, deb

Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am happy for you. its the best place for your mom. i so get it.

Closed Thread