It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

sleepless84 HB Usersleepless84 HB User
Something else to giggle over...

So, I've gotten used to this, but it still creeps me out a bit. My mother normally takes a nap in the mornings between 8 and 10. So this is when I plan my shower. Well, I thought my stepdad was awake, but apparently he'd fallen asleep in the recliner. So I'm taking my shower, singing along with my cd player, enjoying the hot water and the new body wash I got. Pampering myself a bit, because, let's face it, any small thing you get for yourself when you are a full time caregiver is totally priceless. Well, I rinsed my hair and when I open my eyes, there is my mother, stark naked, staring at me from the other side of the glass shower door. Now, first, I must say, I nearly jumped out of my skin!! I'm getting images of Psycho and the shower scene, ha ha!! Second is the impulse to cover myself, which worked for about half a second until my mother decides she going to join me in the shower. So here I am, wet and naked, trying to get her out of the shower at least long enough for me to get out and get a towel, and she is having NONE of it. Totally embarrassing here. I ended up having to wash her and yell for my step dad to come get her so I could finish my shower, which by this time is FREEZING!!! So, note to self, make sure stepdad is AWAKE!!! Otherwise it's been an unevenful day, but that was enough excitement to last me the rest of the week!! I'm scared to see what tomorrow holds, lol!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Something else to giggle over...

I am sitting here laughing, thinking of all those that can't get Mom in the shower. Perhaps you just came up with a new technique Just get in FIRST! You truly don't know what they are going to do next. It can be unnerving but one thing is for sure... it is NEVER boring Glad the rest of the day went well and hope tomorrow is just as good without the shower psycho scene

Love, deb

Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Well at least now your Mom would want to take a shower with you. I don't know about your Mom. Usually the person with dementia hates water and hates showers/baths.
So it is a blessing that she still wants to be washed!
Well, at least the door was not locked. What if she got lost somewhere else!

Yes, make sure her husband is up next time!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thats a giggle! personally i think its a good way to bathe her, but it is embarrising and i do like to enjoy my own showers! at least you are laughing!

Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
(female)

sleepless84 HB Usersleepless84 HB User

Well, all my life, my mother has been a tub person. What I meant by "I've gotten used to this" is the fact that I will be in the shower or tub and she will turn up and stand there staring. Creepy, yes, but I know she most likely isn't actually staring at ME. Her deciding to join me in the shower was a shocker. Yes, I can laugh about it because, really, it was hilarious. But from now on, I am definately making sure my step dad is AWAKE, and the bathrrom door is well closed. (She can't open it on her own if it's fully closed, it doesn't have to be locked.) Today has been quiet, hoping it continues this way, lol.

Closed Thread