It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
My Wish for Us All

Hey all in dementiaville

I know so many of us are hurting, struggling, grieving. I just wanted to take a moment on Valentine's Day to wish you all love, and peace, and grace.

I know this is probably a hard day for lots of us. So - as I'm reminding you - I'm reminding myself - thankfully.......love never ends........and I send my love out to all of you today.

The following user gives a hug of support to TC08:
Emmasue (02-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to TC08 For This Useful Post:
ninamarc (02-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: My Wish for Us All

happy valentines day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I read an article today related to care giving and Valentines day. Mass marketing of this "Hallmark Holiday" as my daughter calls has convinced us that we have to receive lots of cards, flowers, chocolate and jewelry to be loved. It reminded me that true love is given in ways you can't buy. It is in the every day care giving that we do. It is in the smile of our loved ones that are thankful, even if they don't know it, for all that we do. It is for better and for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.... and that goes for every relationship. We see the worse, the poorer and the sickness and we still love with all our hearts and are loved in return.

For me..... it was a wonderful Valentine Day Love is abound!!! And you are right TC... love NEVER ends!

Hope each of you had a happy Valentine Day as well

Love, deb

Last edited by Gabriel; 02-14-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

My Mom has developed a taste for chocolate. Dad bought her a huge box at Christmas and now she can't live without it. So today he went to Walgreens and got 3 more huge boxes so when she runs out of it he has some at home.

It was so funny-one day we took her over before I had my spine surgery and she went right up to the huge box of Whitman's chocolate, hugged it and said this will be just fine! It was the cutest thing. At checkout everyone was laughing at her(not in a bad way) She kept going on about how she was getting old and kept asking my Dad "How old am I?" They all just started to laugh. They could tell she had dementia but she was just so cute how could you not laugh.

Before the dementia set in Mom and I used to go there every Christmas and stock up on the boxes of candy. The woman who checks us out has been there for years and she know us. I asked her what she thought of my Mom and she said she was a hoot but it was sad to see her like that.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

My FIL loves sweet food. Desserts are his favorite. Chocolate or not... People with dementia love sweet food.
Bless your Mom for eating chocolate like that. SO cute!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It has to do with the deterioration of taste... The sweet and salty are the last taste sensation to leave. They are the foods they think. That is why salty crunch snacks along with desserts and candies seem to generally be craved. They taste good! I keep chocolate in Mom's room at all times but out of her reach. You may need to control the intake as I do with Mom. She would eat it all in a day if left to her own. I also tend to share it with other residents... and staff! Mom is unaware of the "day". I will stop by this afternoon and pick up all the half price hearts filled with candy Mom loves the heart shaped boxes even in July!!! We are almost finished with the Christmas candy

Love, deb

Closed Thread