It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Talking problem

My FIL has stopped talking when the caregivers help him to get up, sleep or go to bed and toileting. Probably also no talking in the weekly shower either.

I am wondering why is this the case? Is it due to stress of toileting or embarrassment or due to lack of the words to say? He cannot say hi or thank you. He can say hello hello if the caregiver left him alone for 1 second in the middle of helping him. He is only motivated to talk.
However, when he had a good mood for breakfast, he talked about the oatmeal saying the spoon is very good and he can do anything about it???

Is this because of stress? He is talking passively now. I just wonder why is the toileting or dressing process so hard that he has to stop talking? He only makes some "Ah" sounds if something is too cold or not pleasant during the process.
If my husband asked him questions later in the living area, he still could say something simple. My FIL said nothing to us as well when they prepared him to go to bed and etc. He was so quiet!!

Apparently he is stopping talking but why is the toileting so bad that he has to stop talking? Maybe I am just picking, but he stopped talking when they did the toileting.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 02-14-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Talking problem

Lost of speech is very common in Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. One of the first things to go are nouns. "I need... (long pause).... that!" is typical. This, that, those, and pronouns replace the nouns. Then other words are lost and their vocabulary becomes very limited. Beyond this it becomes more difficult for them to explain how they are feeling. Putting the sentences together in a way to let you know what is in their mind becomes impossible. On top of that their ability to comprehend what is said to them or being done to them is compromised. Communication is not easy.

There are times when they are better able to communicate than others. When they are preoccupied with something that is going on, they have an almost impossible time multitasking so speaking is less likely to happen. Eventually they do lose their ability to speak at all. It is all part of the disease progression.

Mom lost her ability to speak rather quickly. Nouns went first and she wanted that over there or to talk to him or her. Sentences eventually went down to two or three words but were never finished. Now it is rare that she says anything comprehensible at all.

It is very possible that when you Dad is toileting or showering he is more focused on what is happening than speaking. Or he may not understand if they are talking to him. It could be just more noise blended in with the noise of what he is doing. Or it may just been too difficult for him to come up with the words while doing something else

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
joaneeo (02-15-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
joaneeo (02-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Thanks, Deb. It must be multi-tasking. It looks nothing to me but it is a big deal to my FIL. That is why he hit people when they did the toileting. Instead of talking, he tried to strike out and hit the caregivers so the doctor gave him antipsychotic drug last fall.

The thing is I didn't realize that when he stopped walking last May, the talking dropped also. The first time we saw him stopped talking was on labor day when they did his toileting and he took his nap.

This makes sense. He always hates toileting anyway.

Nina

Old 02-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Loss of speech is just another loss that this disease takes gradually. We may not see it, especially if there are only occasional visits, but know it is there along with the loss of other abilities. Toileting is fearful for many reasons. Mom doesn't strike out but she stiffens so it is difficult to get her to sit down. I don't think she realizes the toilet is under her because it is white. Color perception and depth perception are dramatically changed by this disease. The white toilet contrasted against the light colored wall in the dark corner may appear as being forced to sit on nothing in a corner. Mom will sit in a chair but not on the toilet. I have wanted to change the toilet set to one of those brown wooden ones and see if that made a difference but it is a facility and not my home so I don't have the freedom. Beyond that, the fact that we take their lower clothing off first has to be disturbing. Then you have the rush of water with the flush they don't understand. So many things we take for granted they just don't understand

Love, deb

Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

The toilet cover in my FIL's room is blue!
They know what to do.

Hugs,
Nina

Closed Thread