It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

Emmasue HB User
The new Alzheimers patch I see advertised

Anyone have any experiance with it? My Dad is 83,and takes Aricept 20mg 2xs a day. Is it used instead of taking Aricept? Or use it together? I'm clueless,and will be researching it online. Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: The new Alzheimers patch I see advertised

Are you talking about the Exelon Patch? It is the same active ingredient as Aricept but the delivery system is different. Rather than taking a pill it is delivered through the skin via the patch. It does seem to eliminate the gastrointestional side effects (especially the nausea) that you get with the pill forms. I suspect that Aricept and the Exelon Patch would be used together since they are the same medication.

My parents were on the Aricept. Excelon Patch was not introduced until after Mom was diagnosed and she was only on the Aricept for about 18 months before she was taken off due to side effects

Hope this helped ...

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Thanks Deb. This is what I was talking about.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

It was the only patch I knew was being used. Figured it had to be or I was of to see what was new out there that I had not heard about yet

Love, deb

Old 02-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Sure wish they had a patch that would cure the whole disease.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You and me both Emma What they do have is so very ineffective even at slowing this disease. But I guess first they need to figure out what is truly causing it. Every week there is something new about how it develops or what causes it. The latest was injecting Alzheimer's brain cells into mice and they develop the disease... not in the same way as an infection but it did survive and spread. One of the huge problems with research is that what is good for the mouse is not necessary good for the human! I swear it is like stabbing in the dark to hit a small dot! Just so frustrating considering the increase in the frequency of the disease.

Love, deb

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Such a heartbreaking disease. For the patients and loved ones. I feel I am grieving losing my sweet Daddy, yet he is still here with us. It makes your head spin.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is why they call it the long good bye! And why I did not feel the overwhelming anxiety of grief when Dad died. I had said my good byes and grieved long before he was gone. The end was more a blessing and relief for us both.

Today was actually a good day. My Aunt who is 87 visited with Mom today. Mom sat quietly and ate the entire box of chocolate that my aunt brought her while we talked. My aunt is sharp as a tack and I truly enjoyed seeing her. Mom was having a good day and actually seemed to recognize her at first and then made several statements that was almost understandable (if she could have finished them). I had taken two whole days off and was ready to go back. The Mardi Gras celebration was a hit as well. Left Mom smiling ready for her supper One thing this disease teaches us is to appreciate the little victories and the small blessings of life!

Love, deb

Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
(female)

Emmasue HB User

That makes total sense. It is a relief when they pass. Hmmm that helped me.. Been feeling out of sorts today.. A whole box of chocolate? Yummmm...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

There were only 9 pieces. There was one Mom tasted and dropped in her lap. I put it back in the box. She selected it again and put it on the chair arm. I guess she didn't like it. I did snitch a piece for another resident and one for myself... but she ate the other 6 with no idea that she didn't eat them all but that one piece she kept throwing away!!

There are days I am out of sorts as well. I have two ways of attacking that. I either find something totally unrelated to Mom that I enjoy doing or I go to the facility and immerse myself into the residents. Both seems to work well. Anything but just worrying about what has been, what might be, or what I can't control

Love, deb

Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Helping others, always helps doesn't it? Does she sleep alot? My Dad sleeps so much. We make sure he gets up to eat or to sit in his chair. He can't keep up with TV or read anymore. He likes music as many of them do. He falls asleep when we talk to him. But I guess he always did that! Ha! But is it something they do? Sleep so much?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dad was the sleeper... with his Vascular Dementia. I am sure some of that was related to his extensive cardiovascular problems. He would sleep 12 hours or more, get up, eat, sleep some more in the chair, eat... you get it. He was probably awake only 8 to 10 hours a day.

Mom on the other hand was an insomniac. She never did sleep much but as her Alzheimer's set in she slept less and less. Getting up before the sun rise and staying up late into the night. Then her days and nights got mixed up with her pacing all night and dozing off and on during the day in a chair. That is when I started her on Melatonin. She now goes to bed at a reasonable hour at night... between 9 and 10 PM. Some days she is up at 6 and some days she sleeps until 9. The late rising is becoming more frequent and I have noticed that after lunch she becomes tired now. She will not sleep in the bed during the day but she will doze in a chair. So yes, now she is sleeping much more than her normal

Mom doesn't watch TV or read. Her auditory input perception went quickly. It is very difficult for her to understand anything that is said to her or to listen to TV. Yep, she can zone right out or sleep while you are talking to her but then again she truly doesn't understand what is being said. Mom's visual perception had been better than her auditory but I am noticing a decline in that as well.

The sleep issue depends on the person and the stage of the disease. I have seen changes in the sleep patterns consistently but it might be more or less sleep and it can change over the course of the disease. Usually from less to more sleep!

Love, deb

Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Thanks so much Deb! Your so helpful to me! Dad told my husband yesterday that he had to tell my husband something 15 times! Of course, he didn't. But when he said that, I just cracked up and he was laughing so hard his shoulders were shaking. But then again, he has always had a quick wit and a sarcastic sense of humor. Where I get it. So humor is still there.... Which its good for him to laugh. Good for the rest of us too..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have found that if I laugh, Mom laughs. Doesn't matter what she says she picks up my emotions. If I make it happy then so is she! I have also noted that on my down days she is as down as I am. But the truly funny days are when I am on a roll chewing on somebody. She seems to totally enjoy it! She will smile at me and wink... cracks me up!

I was in the ED's office complaining on after noon with Mom with me. He kept interrupting me to "explain" the unexplainable. Mom looked at him and said..."You talk too much!" Then swiped his candy jar and walked out. It was hysterical!

Yep, you have to keep your sense of humor in tack and look for those moments of joy that will carry you through. You have to love that sarcastic sense of humor that they do seem to retain for a while

Love, deb

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
(female)

Emmasue HB User

At first when I laughed at something he said, it felt as if I were laughing at him. It felt disrespectful of me to him.But I soon figured it out,that we always laughed at each other,and gave each other lil diggs.Why should it change now? It's how the family always was and still is. Humor and laughing is good medicine! Last few days, he has a hard time finding the bathroom. Has forgotten how to lift the toilet lid,or doesn't make it in time. My Mom who is 85,has to clean it up. Big mess. I went out and bought the premoistened cloths that she can throw in the trash bag in the bathroom trash can. She used to use her towels and wash cloths.Which made for more laundry. More work for her. Worked out well, and just in case, I make sure she is well stocked on them. Every day, we figure out how to do something easier or different. As you know, every day something new comes up,and you just deal with it. He isn't incontinent,just doesn't make it in time sometimes. He knows when he has to use the restroom.It's just getting there in time.

Closed Thread