It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

sleepless84 HB Usersleepless84 HB User
I Need Advice

I haven't posted in a while because things have gotten pretty bad with Mom. We finally got her to the neurologist who put her on new meds. Aricept and Halcion. The Halcion works about half the time to help her sleep. The Aricept seems to actually make her worse. So now the doctor has taken her off the Aricept. I've been going rounds with doctors and the medicaid office and I just seems to be getting nowhere. In the past few days my mother has managed to shatter the glass coffee table and stick a knife in my pillow beside my head. It's honestly to the point that I'm fearing not only for her safety, but my own. But with no insurance and no definitive diagnosis from her doctors, I can't get her into a home. Several people have suggested that I take her to the hospital and just refuse to bring her back home because I can no longer care for her. But I don't know if that's even a possibility. Will hospitals do that? I am at my wit's end here. I've had maybe 3 hours of sleep in the past 2 days. I've had to send my children to stay with their father because my mother has made a bad habit of going into their rooms and waking them up at night. I feel like if I can't get something done, I'm going to be the one in the hospital. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I just don't know what to do.

The following user gives a hug of support to sleepless84:
aras (02-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Re: I Need Advice

I am not from the usa, but I would think you could call the police and have her admitted to the hospital as a pych. patient as a threat to herself and you...

hugs to you, judy..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

maybe thats a good idea. i wonder if you have to call the police. c an you take her to the hospital yourself. having no insurance is a problem. what about medicare. i feel for you hang in there and maybe you should ask the dr what to do. if he agrees he can order her to the hospital.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Yes, you can call EMS, tell them that she is a danger to herself and those around her. Let them know she stabs your pillow while you are sleeping. Have her go through the ER, let them know she is out of control, and that she can not come back to your house because you can not have her in the home with children. She will probably be assigned a hospital social worker. Where she ends up will be out of your hands but they will have to do something with her. She will probably end up in a psych ward for medication adjustment and evaluation. You can get her diagnosis there. Then she will be placed. It's a tough road to go but if that is the only thing you can do then that is how you have to go. No, you can not continue this way and you have to do something before somebody gets hurt. She will not mean it or remember it... but it can still happen.

Love, deb

Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

how ya doing this morning sleepless, ?????

Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
(female)

Today is a little better. Got my mom into the local mental health clinic for an evaluation and more testing to start the process of getting her placed in a home. Thankfully I do have a very loving and supporting boyfriend who really came to the rescue and pulled some strings for me, My step dad is home today (he's been out of town on business) so I am taking advantage of a fresh body in the house. Going to lay in bed with a good book and pray it continues to stay quiet, lol.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That is the start you needed sleepless. Big kudos to your boyfriend!! Hopefully the clinic will be able to adjust her medication, give her a diagnosis, and place her. Just be sure not to buckle and bring her back home. Our memories tend to mellow with age and we forget just how bad it was. You deserve staying in bed all day!! Clear your mind, curl up with a good read, and just be centered in yourself today Keep us updated and know we are all sending good thoughts that this will be the answer you need.

Love, deb

Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thank goodness. i am so glad to hear that. its a start and that is what you needed

Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
(female)

Made a few calls today. It seems the only thing I need to get together before evaluation is her med. records from her current family doc and her neurologist and of course her personal info. So, hopefully no more headaches there. I'm just relieved that something is finally working right. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

way to go girl, the first steps in getting help is always the hardest....

hugs judy.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Excellent Sleepless I will keep the fingers and the toes cross... and sending you all the positive thoughts possible that this is the beginning of a better situation for you both....

Love, deb

Closed Thread