HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/)
-   -   Alzheimer's awareness indication (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alzheimers-disease-dementia/891366-alzheimers-awareness-indication.html)

Gabriel 02-29-2012 08:48 AM

Alzheimer's awareness indication

I have a question for all. So many of us have had difficulties with doctors and other medical personnel being aware of our loved ones dementia. Especially in a hospital or ER setting the dementia seems to be shoved to the back ground and medical personnel treat without regard to the dementia.

Another acquaintance, in the land of dementia, made a suggestion and I wondered what the response here would be.

If you go into the hospital and your loved one is prone to falling you get a red bracelet along with your hospital ID bracelet that lets everybody know that your loved one is a fall risk. Extra precautions and procedures are in place to take care of those red banded people. What is your thoughts of a purple band for anyone who has a diagnosis of dementia? That way, the hospital personnel will know there is cognitive dysfunction behind actions and perhaps find a better way to handle a situation. There can be a protocol behind the bracelet that gives them awareness and guidance.

This is something that will have to be handled state by state but I for one am planning to push it here. Just wanted your thoughts on the subject.

Love, deb

ninamarc 02-29-2012 09:40 AM

Re: Alzheimer's awareness indication

It is a good idea. However the medlcal professionals also have to know how to deal with dementia. The ER never knows how to treat the person with dementia.
My FIL was known to have Alzheimer's in the hospital and yet the nurses laughed when he said they wanted to kill him!
I am sure the band will alert everyone but it may not mean that they know what to do with it!

It is a beginning to get this band and then the medical professionals really have to be trained to understand dementia. It seems the responsibility falls on the NH for memory impaired or people who understand dementia. It is not right. People understand cancer better than dementia! We know about chemo and radiation...

Deb, it is a good idea to alert the public! So many people just don't understand dementia.

Nina

jagsmu 02-29-2012 10:20 AM

I love the idea, anything to make the medical staff become aware of dementica has my approve, the only thing is up here a purple dot on their name band means aggressive behavour, my mom throw a book at someone and she received a purple dot, I would imagine things went on that I have no idea about but I doknow that they were related to dementica and the staff not knowing how to handle the problems that would arrise....

You have given me an excellent idea to work on up here..
judy

Keysey 02-29-2012 11:59 AM

Yes! Great idea, Deb! Perhaps the Alzheimer's Association could push this through. It won't make everything perfect but everything must start somewhere.

Gabriel 02-29-2012 12:44 PM

Judy... I find it amazing that the purple dot is for aggressive behavior and it's the Alzheimer's color... hummmm

I am going to talk to the local Alzheimer's Association director the next time I am there about promoting this idea in the state or at least the local area :)

Love, deb

Keysey 02-29-2012 12:46 PM

I have 3 friends that are nurses...all in different parts of the city. I'll mention this to them and see who they think would be good to talk to at their workplace.

vera4567 02-29-2012 02:46 PM

Deb,
Great Idea! When my mother was in the hospital recently for many issues, they placed a Fall Risk bracelet on her! How ironic....she hasn't walked in 9 years!!!! Do they mean Fall out of bed? Not if the rails are up as they should be.
It is very frustrating to say the least. She also has a hard time hearing unless you are almost up to her ear yet no one ever placed a notice of this for any health professionals.
Of course we know that a band is useless if no one even pays attention to the patient/person to note that.
I would love to know what you are doing to promote the dementia band if you have the time to send some info to me!
Thanks a bunch!
Vera

Gabriel 02-29-2012 03:20 PM

Good idea Keysey :) Would love to know their suggestion. I will see the Alzheimer's Association Director soon and want to talk to her about it and hope to get in tough with the State Advocate for the Elderly as well. I do believe this is going to be my new mission..

Love, deb

jagsmu 02-29-2012 05:46 PM

[QUOTE=Gabriel;4936675]Judy... I find it amazing that the purple dot is for aggressive behavior and it's the Alzheimer's color... hummmm

I am going to talk to the local Alzheimer's Association director the next time I am there about promoting this idea in the state or at least the local area :)

Love, deb[/QUOTE]

yes it is amazing, but perhaps it is different because these colors are used in the hospitals?? a red band is used for alergies, such as penicilin, so our color system is a bit different. In our hospital if a patient is really aggressive there is a purple dot on the entrance to the room alerting nurses and staff...The sad thing is once tagged it is always there, it follows them in their files from place to place...

judy

Keysey 02-29-2012 05:47 PM

I am happily and excitedly joining your mission. :)

Gabriel 03-01-2012 08:30 AM

Jags... I bet that a large number of those "aggressive" patients do have cognitive impairment. If the purple dot indicated cognitive impairment then it needs to follow them. Just wish they would separate the behavior from the cause of the behavior. And red here is fall risk. It's a bright red bracelet you wear. That is why it has to be handled on a state to state basis. ... and it may be hospital specific. Hopefully I will know more after I talk to a few people. :)

Love, deb

Emmasue 03-01-2012 12:05 PM

Deb, I think that is a great idea. Not knowing the person has a problem could be very dangerous in how their handled/ treated. Knowledge as always,is powerful!