It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

rebeccaobx HB User
Smile Aircept - Gabriel, are you still here??

You probably don't remember me.....but I remember your kindness and concern Going for a neuro checkup.... last time I went (last year about June I think) he mentioned the above med and I was quite indignant! Imagine that....I have since showed mri results to a geriatric Psychiatrist who works in our dept. and the first thing he said was, are you on Aircept yet? Work is continuing to be a pain...actually, it is becoming very difficult.....any feedback on this med? Hope your mama is holding her own....

The following user gives a hug of support to rebeccaobx:
ninamarc (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Aircept - Gabriel, are you still here??

I am not a huge fan of Aricept, especially in late diagnosis but your diagnosis was early enough it might do some good. It does not repair any damage or significantly slow down damage that is occurring. What it does is rev up the neurons that are still working which may give you some benefit in the early stages. At best it claims to give you a few months of improvements in activities of daily living.

Since you are still working perhaps you can try it. Write down any change you experience. Be aware of the side effects and any mood changes. If it doesn't help or has major side effect you can always stop taking it.

There are only a few approved medications for Alzheimer's and they do not promise a miracle. Because they are all we have that is why doctor's are so pushy with them. They feel the need to do something. Having had two parents on the medication I am still not sure there were any benefits. But perhaps it is worth a try for a couple of months to see what happens.

Hang in there Glad you are going back to the Neurologist to get an update on what is going on. Would love to hear back from you!.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread