It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

Keysey HB UserKeysey HB UserKeysey HB User
Med question

I was reading a comment on an article about Alzheimer's and the person mentioned Pycnogenol. Have any of you had any experience with it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Med question

I do not have personal experience but it is a natural plant extract from the bark of the maritime pine tree which grows exclusively along the coast of southwest France. It is an antioxidant, acts as a natural anti-inflammatory, selectively binds to collagen and elastin, and finally, it aids in the production of endothelial nitric oxide which helps to dilate blood vessels. Pycnogenol® is one of the most researched ingredients in the natural product marketplace. Published findings have demonstrated Pycnogenol’s beneficial effects in cardiovascular health, osteoarthritis, skincare, cognitive function, diabetes health, inflammation, sports nutrition, asthma and allergy relief and menstrual disorders, among others. It is an anti-oxidant like so many others recent "miracle foods". They do have benefits but are not a cure.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

I was just wondering if there was anything to the claim that it helped her husband speak better and sort the mail again. Guess I need to do some research and see if it's worth the attempt. I don't want to do anything that will get my dad's hopes up just for it to fail.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

The dementia drugs aricept or namenda/exelon may help delay the symtoms for 6 months at best. It is said that these med. can help caregiving. For me, it does not really stop my FIL's confusion.

You can try any anti-oxidants or any alternative med., but please keep in mind that this will not stop their confusion. My FIL took all kinds of dementia med and vitamins and etc., but it didn't stop his declining and confusion.
The hardest part of this is the caregiving when the person becomes confused and needs help.

Good luck,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-11-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
(female)

Dad takes Namenda and Aricept and has since late 2010. I can't say where he would be without them or that they are or are not helping. He had a negative reaction to Namenda at first but the dosage was too high and that was quickly handled. He does get confused at times but mostly he jumbles his words so bad. His short term memory is okay some days and awful others. He certainly hasn't forgotten that I'm supposed to buy him a gun. :/

Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Namenda and Aricept do not fix anything. The synapses that are broken stay broken. Those that are going to break will break. What is does is rev up the other synapses so they work a little better and can compensate for the deficiencies. Pretty much what antioxidants do. The improvements show were determined by improvements in ADLs (Activities of Daily Living). Can they brush their teeth, fix a glass of milk, or put on their pants. Short term memory improvement is not in that list nor are other cognitive functions.

All any of these will do is a slight slowing of the disease in some people. None of it is a miracle cure that will give Mom or Dad back their cognition.

As for the good days and bad days... that is the way the disease progresses. It is not a constant decline but an up and down with the ups not as good and less frequent and the downs a little worse and more frequent as time goes on. Mom had some really bad days three years before she was diagnosed. In hind sight I know what they were but at the time it was just a mystery. Yet after her diagnosis she had some really good days that made me wonder. Just know this is a normal part of the disease.

As for the gun... if he makes it impossible to distract or delay him then do what I did. Let him have it minus the firing pin. Taking out the firing pin renders it useless. Then when he complains it doesn't work take it back to have it fixed and repeat the process Dad never did figure out that his pistol didn't work.!

Love, deb

Closed Thread

Tags
alzheimer's, dementia