It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Waving :)

It is that time of year again.... for those that have been here forever like I have. I will be working at our high school band concert festival for the next four days. I think this is year 18. I will try to check in when I return home but my days will last from 12 to 15 hours and we will see how that goes

Mom is slowly slipping. She still walks but slowly and carefully. It is still the getting up and sitting down that is the problem. Her weight continues to slowly decline despite eating well.

I am thrilled with the new ED but the new Coordinator leaves a LOT to be desired. We will see how that works out. I am not hopeful but wishful. Sister 2 is going to be visiting with Mom while I am busy the rest of the week. So I guess that means I am actually getting a busy break!

Hope everybody hands in there. Find the moments of joy and cherish them.

Love, deb

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Gabriel
bubblegirl (03-20-2012), ninamarc (03-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
aras (03-20-2012)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: Waving :)

Here's a wave back atcha Deb Have a great time with the festival. A much deserved break for you. Sorry to hear about your mom's decline.....it just sucks, doesn't it??

I'm thinking of you and holding you close in heart - but then again - I always am

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Enjoy your time.. I know you enjoy it every year.

I understand about your mom "slipping". It's hard to watch but hopeful for a better time for her to come.
Til then...fight the good fight.

Hi everyone!!!

Me? I have been busy with the next crisis in life... My poor son going though a divorce... the one who took such good care of his grandma. Life is not fair, friends. But we all here have known that for a long time.

My mom is a sweet memory now...the horrors of the disease an almost distant memory. I carry her with me everywhere I go.

I hope you are all doing as well as can be....I am always thinking of you.

Love, Meg

Love, Meg

The following user gives a hug of support to meg1230:
bearcubs (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

My FIL can no longer get up or sit down without lots of help. He cannot tell how far he was away from his chair. In fact, he now uses wheelchair most of the time. No talking or mutual conversation anymore. He still can talk as he wishes about the spoon he likes and etc.
I know what you mean by slipping. I know my FIL is slipping. Yet the nurses in the NH talk like they are comforting us: "He is a man of few words."; "he is sleeping" and it is aging; "he can still eat with the spoon by himself!"
The part about sleeping is not true. My FIL sleeps very well but he now sleeps right after lunch. He closes his eyes to shun the world around him. He does not understand the world around him anymore. We guess that he still knows my husband. He only talks on the phone!

Deb, I know the slipping is slow and much patience is needed! Enjoy your festival!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg1230 View Post
Enjoy your time.. I know you enjoy it every year.

I understand about your mom "slipping". It's hard to watch but hopeful for a better time for her to come.
Til then...fight the good fight.

Hi everyone!!!

Me? I have been busy with the next crisis in life... My poor son going though a divorce... the one who took such good care of his grandma. Life is not fair, friends. But we all here have known that for a long time.

My mom is a sweet memory now...the horrors of the disease an almost distant memory. I carry her with me everywhere I go.

I hope you are all doing as well as can be....I am always thinking of you.

Love, Meg

Love, Meg
Meg -

So good to hear from you! I am so sorry about what you're going through with your son......not easy.....at all. You said a mouthful about life not being fair, and how we all on here know about that

I'm encouraged by your words that your memories of your mom are now happy and that the memories of the disease have faded. I look forward to that day. It hasn't been 3 months yet for me, so I know it takes time. I am able to think of my stepdad in younger and healthier years, but the last nearly 4 years are still pretty fresh in my mind and heart.

Hang in there and always good to see you on here

Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
(female)

sunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB User

Hello Deb

Just got back from week in Oahu. Back to reality,,,of course
No decision on moving yet?
had a melt down today....really missing mom and dad...
having both go so close together...is really hard
Husband does not understand why I need to get out of this neighborhood
2 houses ..where they once owned and then rented.....too many memories
Anyone else experiencing this?

must be hard watching your mom decline for so many years
Life is not easy......

Oh ..Meg how are you??

Aloha.
Chris

Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
(female)

sunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB Usersunbelle HB User

Hi Meg

Just saw your post...I am so sorry about your son
Both my sons went thru it....not fun!!

Love ya
Chris

Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Meg, I am so sorry your son is having to go though a divorce but for him I wish a better future. Sometimes out of the dust of hardship something beautiful will rise. I wish for him the strength and courage to find his new beginning.

Chris, glad you had a good trip and hope a decision can be made soon.

For the most part my memories of Dad are sweet and much of the ending has faded into the background. It's never really gone but over shadowed by good memories. Just like everything else in life there are good moments and sad moments. Just hang on to the good and let them carry you through the sad.

Festival was... exhausting... but what a great four days. I was at festival three years ago when I decided to move Mom and Dad here. I was at festival two years ago just two weeks after Dad's death. It always seems to mark a turning point and I am not sure what it is this year. I will see Mom tomorrow. What it has done is give me a wonderful respite with good friends, hard work, and something very different. Not sure how somebody can enjoy four days listening to 64 concert bands play a piece of music badly! But I do!!

Love, deb

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

My support group facilitator training is done and my first meeting has been scheduled for April. I am honestly looking forward to this new adventure. I also finished my four days at High School Band Concert Festival. I came home exhausted but it was great. When I returned to see Mom..... GRRRR!! We are back in the land of constipation and hemorrhoid issues. I was NOT a happy camper. Not to mention I am in the middle of settling the last piece of property from Dad's estate and then we get a potential bit on buying Mom and Dad's house. Not to mention I received the last piece of information for Mom's income taxes and the grass needs mowing. Yep, it was a great 4 days but welcome back to reality Life is good though and I am back.....

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
aras (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Oh geez Deb....sorry for the constipation issues with your mom. That's not fun for anyone. Sounds like you've got alot going on. Congrats on finishing your facilitator training. I think it's awesome that you've decided to take that on!

Good luck with the property stuff and it sounds like you may have an offer on your parent's house? We put my mom's house on the market last week. We've had several showings, but no offers yet. So far my mom has been fairly cooperative, but I'm not holding my breath

Hope you can catch up on some rest!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know what you mean about the "cooperation"... it comes and goes! I do hope one of those viewings turns into an offer while Mom is in the mood

I wanted to go ahead and put Mom and Dad's house on the market when they moved out. I knew they would not go back but some of my sister's had different ideas. So the housing market tanked... In the little town the house is in, the economy is about as bad as it can be. We recently received a comp including all houses sold in 2011... there were FOUR houses on the list. To complicate the problem there are so many foreclosed houses that they bands are asking reduced prices to move them. There are $200,000 houses selling for less than $100,000!! Mom and Dad's has been on the market for 3 years in May. We have an interested buyer but he has to sell his house first. The bite is actually on his house and we are just waiting to see what happens now.

But.... my grass is mowed!

Love, deb

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Deb...you really do need to get a little more active in life.

So we are all working on selling their houses.. What a major pain huh? Not only are we involved in the world of Alz but we had to do it during a major tank in the housing market...ggrrr....we couldn't have had to do this when prices were at the top...noooooo. Oh well, we play the cards we've been dealt.

And now your mom is back to constipation.....just think back to the last time and how you fixed it. You always handle it.

Thinking of you all.
Love, Meg

Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

SO sorry about the house, Deb. Sure hope the buyer can buy it.
For us, the buyer took a little delay because the bank kept asking for some proof over their debt. The trouble is the employer asked the guy to use a certain bank. (It is the land that belongs to the university where he works.) The bank does not give out mortgage easily these days.
At least they got the money. It is so much trouble to sell the house these days. Neighbors are unhappy with 2008 crash and blah blah blah...

It is funny to see how human nature changes! One minute, she was a friend, and next minute, she was an enemy! Some neighbors are really political - not really nice.

I sure hope your Mom's house will get a good deal.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 03-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Meg.......... NO!!!!!! I spent the afternoon at Yoforia with Mom and a bus full of AL residents. A great time was had by all But I am exhausted!

I do wish we had sold the house when Mom and Dad first left... before the housing market bubble burst. Oh well... You can't cry over spilled milk because there is no way to get it back in the glass!

Yep, I have the constipation under control. Mom had a big smile on her face today and enjoyed her frozen yogurt! Nice way to end a crazy week

Love, deb

Closed Thread