It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Vaseline in hair???

If anybody has a sure fire way to get Vaseline out of hair please let me know. Amazingly it was NOT Mom that put it there. One of the new care managers decided to "tame" Mom's fine straight hair by putting Vaseline on it. Now I can not get it out. The morning care manager who I adore knew I would not be happy with Mom's "greasy" hair so she had put Mom in the shower and washed it twice with clarifying shampoo. It didn't help so thinking I could do better I put Mom back in the shower and washed it three times myself. It didn't help. So Mom ate Easter lunch with hair that looked wet and greasy. Somebody recommended corn starch to bind with the petroleum based Vaseline and then wash it with the clarifying shampoo. So I did that and then washed it again. It's still horrible. I gave up! Not to mention Mom had three showers today I'm just glad she doesn't mind a shower.

This all happened because Mom gets a shower given by the facility on Tuesday by her assigned regular care managers and a shower on Friday by Hospice. For some reason the facility decided that both showers were given by then but since the Hospice care staff came in and did it on Friday they decided to give her one on Saturday when PRN staff is always there. The new PRN care manager that gave Mom a shower for the first time yesterday was the one that did it!

There is now a note in Mom's bathroom saying that nothing is to be put on Mom's hair except her blue clarifying shampoo and water... no products and no Vaseline! Who would have thought!?!?!

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
(female)

Karen4you HB User
Re: Vaseline in hair???

Your poor mom! What about Dawn Dish soap and add a little cornstarch to that? Then wash it with regular shampoo afterwards. Gosh, wish I had a better idea. Hope you can get it out soon.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Tried the corn starch then clarifying shampoo today. I am going to try the Dawn tomorrow. It's a mess. At least she doesn't mind a shower

Love, deb

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User

Does the facility have a beauty shop? Can you do it in the shower without getting dawn in her eyes? I am sure that would be painful. If all else fails try following with a warm vinegar rinse. That will usually clean any products from the hair. Hope something works.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I kind of think that nothing but time will work. Eventually it will all be absorbed. Who knows, it may even give her shiny soft hair.

You are indeed fortunate that your Mom allows showers. Every tme Mom needed a shower it was a battle royal to get her in .. my sister in law used to get in with her for the few months she lived with them ... and Mom (unlike me) hated having anyone touch her head/hair.

Of course that went back to childood traumas when her stepfather held her tightly between his knees while he braided her long blonde hair into too-tight braids AND took other liberties with her body, which we would now call sexual abuse. In 1915 he was the king of the household and did what he wanted.

If all else fails, a super short haircut will speed the healing.

Love,

Martha

Last edited by Martha H; 04-09-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha... I am lucky that Mom doesn't mind showers. She had THREE yesterday! She has always loved her bath and someone washing her hair. Actually she loved to have her hair brushed or head messaged. I have used this to my advantage when she would get agitated. I would just walk up behind her and brush her hair which usually has a calming effect. I have even put her in the facility spa tub on truly anxious days. She didn't want to get out until the water went cold!!

Her hair is already short but what is there is greased!! And now I am off to the facility with my Dawn to see if I can degrease her!

Love, deb

Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Deb, your Mom still likes to take a shower! You are so lucky. My FIL hates to take a shower and he hates water. He really hates it. However, when the caregiver did it, he went along with it. Last year when he was able to talk more around Good Friday, he complained to my husband as he just came out of the shower. He said it was a torture! He said "go to bed and pick him up tomorrow!!"
I don't understand why some patients are able to take a shower. My FIL stopped taking a shower by himself in late 2006 and lied to the doctor saying he took it at night but he never took a shower. The caregivers had to show him the steps to wash.
Well, I am sorry your Mom has vaseline on it. Frankly for a few times, my FIL's male caregiver used a little bit of vaseline to tame his short hair. I never thought of this problem. I guess they just washed him and left it alone. Vaseline was good for his dry skin. Now I don't think they use vaseline in the NH. He has short hair so maybe for your Mom, a lady's hair is too much for vaseline!

I have no idea how but other people have good suggestions. When I got vaseline on my hand, it is hard to wash it off also.

Good luck,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 04-09-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Vaseline is petroleum based and very difficult to wash off. That is why it is great for protecting the skin but not suited for hair. It clings to the hair and does not release. It will remain there for weeks. I do not want my Mom to look like she has dirty greasy hair for weeks! Her hair is very fine and it honestly looked horrible. I took her to the Salon in the facility so I could wash her hair without the soapy water running in her eyes and washed her hair twice with Dawn dish washing detergent. That is what they use to clean the water fowl when it is exposed to an oil spill. It helped!! All the Vaseline is not gone but most of it is and it doesn't look nearly as bad as it did

The shower differences just points to the fact that every one is different. Mom always loved to take a shower/bath. In the early stages of her disease she loved a bath. When she was in the mid stages and very anxious I could put her in the whirlpool bath and she would calm down. Today she can not participate in the shower but she does not fight it either and if she doesn't get cold she will actually smile. She actually enjoyed the salon chair today! As I scrubbed she dozed off with a smile.

Dad was very different. He would also say he had a shower when he had not. It was not a lie. He had a shower at some point in his life but with no time line he had no clue what last night meant. I had a routine that would get him in the shower if I could catch him as soon as he got out of bed but once he got his clothes on for the day you had to forget about the shower until tomorrow. I could occasionally talk him into a shower by telling him we were going out to eat or he had a doctor's appointment but that didn't happen often.

You just have to look at the past and how they think about showers. Mom loved them and it was relaxation for her. Dad did it only because it had to be done and he thought it had been done. Simplifying the process helps. Take it one step at a time. Making sure they do not get too cold or too hot is important. Set up a routine for the shower. When you find a process that works (as I did Dad in the morning) stick to it strictly. Provide them with a shower seat so they do not have to stand which is exhausting. Make sure the seat is a contracting color so they can see it. Contrasting wash clothes help as well. Turn off the water when not in use and make sure it is the right temperature. If it is helpful drape them in a towel while they shower for modesty. There are so many things that can be done that are helpful to make them feel more secure. Most of all don't make it a drama situation. Eventually you will catch the right time in the right way.

For me... I am just happy that Mom's hair is better

Love, deb

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
For me... I am just happy that Mom's hair is better

Love, deb
Deb, I am glad your washed some vaseline off Mom's hair!
The past history does have influence! Thanks for the tips for the showers.
Now my FIL sits in the bath chair first (the one with weight) and then they washed him. The home has this fancy bathtub with openable door next to him so he feels better. Sometimes they asked him if he wants to take a shower or bath. Now I think he does the bath more since he cannot walk easily.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 04-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

believe it or not my daughter put vaseline in her hair when she was 2(now 31). i think i remember using a lot of peanut butter. i know that is for gum but i think it worked on vaseline. i could be very wrong but maybe worth a try.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Debbie, that was one of the suggestions I considered but when I thought of the ducks in the oil spills being washed with Dawn I decided to try that first... and it worked surprisingly well. I had several other options in my bag of tricks just in case. It amazes me how many people have had this happen... who would have thought Just glad that chapter is behind me. And yes there is a big note on the wall in Mom's bathroom saying.... "Nothing is to go on Mom's hair except her blue clarifying shampoo and water! No products and NO VASELINE!" Who would have thought lol

Love, deb

Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Deb, the funny part is that the male caregiver for my FIL used vaseline for his own hair too. His hair is hard to manage like black people's hair. So he used a little bit of vaseline and one day he asked me to get it for my FIL. My FIL does not have much hair although he got some hair but now it is not very dense. The hair is close to his head so vaseline probably helped to oil his head too. But I never realized this is bad to be cleaned.

My FIL used to tell everyone to wash hands every time we came back to the house. He was worried about germs and bacteria. However, the house had lower water pressure and it was hard to get the shower water ready. Perhaps that is why he hates showers. But he does not wash his hands anymore. It is part of the disease too.

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 04-11-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe the forum needs to tweek their censured letters since some of the letters in legitimate words are missing... too funny! It's a cognitive exercise to figure out what the missing letter are perhaps

The gal that did it uses Vaseline in her hair which is thick, dark, and dry. It just doesn't work on Mom's fine straight light colored hair. It gives it that dirty look. It is a by product or crude oil. It accumulates on the drilling equipment and is quite an annoyance. Some ingenious soul refined it and sold it as a miracle cure for a while. It's a great skin protector because it is so difficult to break down. That also makes it extremely annoying when it is where it should not be... like in Mom's hair. Learning this, I took a page from the oil spill clean ups and went with the Dawn dish washing liquid.

Nina, they also forget, even simple things like how to wash hands. Mom loves the shower but it is an ordeal to get her to wash her hands. She doesn't want to put her hands in the stream. You would think if the water was running she would connect that to washing hands... nope!! Even if I put her hands under the water she will draw them back. Honestly, it's easier to put her in the shower than to just wash her hands. They each do have their quirks

Love, deb

Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I really hate Vaseline. In the old times, Vaseline was popular. I think it is still used in medical care. Anyway, I am glad now we can use dish detergent for that!

My FIL is funny - he can copy what my husband does. Being "so close" to his son as "colleague", my FIL was able to mimic my husband and they washed hands together!
But he does not understand why he needs to wash. They don't remember they need to be clean. Once I cleaned too much on his mouth, he stroke back and I felt the force.
I think it is like some animals that groom themselves. Seriously, he used to groom himself and tried to clean his shirt by sweeping the stuff off his front after he ate!

Now the nursing home started to give him the apron that can be buttoned around him. He does not mind that. It is like a learning curve to find out what he likes!

Hugs,
Nina

Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

meg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB Usermeg1230 HB User

Sheesh Deb..I just saw this. There should be a sign up there where your mom is, saying..."first, do no harm!" And that includes Vaseline!

Glad you got it out though.

Love, Meg

Closed Thread