It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

DKinCA HB User
Diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)

Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI). Can it get worse in the short-term?

I'm a 46 year old male who had a hypoxic-anoxic brain injury due to cardiac arrest after a splenic rupture where I had a massive blood loss (approx 70 units replaced). After a 6 week hospital stay back in Aug/Sept 2011 I'm still recovering both physically, mentally, and emotionally. I recently had a visit with a neurologist who diagnosed me initally as having MCI. I'm scheduled for an MRI and neuro-psych testing in two weeks. I can function fine in everyday living tasks but definitely have difficulty in remembering many things from one moment to the next (I can forget a conversation, lose track in a conversation, forget what I'm doing). This happens dozens of times a day. I do set reminders, using notes and calendars to compensate.

I understand I could be at greater risk for dementia or Alzheimer's but my memory seems worse than several months ago. Can my brain injury worsen in a short period of time (several months) or am I just more "aware" of it?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)

DK, there is no way to answer that question until you go back to the doctors for follow up testing. MCI is just what it says, milk cognitive impairment that can be caused by a long list of problems. In your case probably from the brain injury. MCI does not always lead to more advanced cognitive issues... but it can. You may have developed a form of Vascular Dementia due to the heart condition. But again, there is no way to tell for sure without follow up testing. As for the worsening symptoms, it could be that you are more aware or it could be a worsening of the condition. Testing is the only way to know. So please wait for 6 months to a year (depending on your symptoms) and get follow up testing to know the progression you are dealing with.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread