It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
(female)

KrenM HB UserKrenM HB UserKrenM HB UserKrenM HB User
Hi All!

It's been forever since I posted--hope you haven't forgotten me

I noticed last night that I hadn't even logged in since February. Where does the time go?

It's same old same old for me. Mom has declined and is no longer able to walk. The second hip fracture really took a lot out of her. Her behavior is worse and yet at the same time she surprised me by suddenly improving cognitively--she's more able to express herself and is asking the type of questions she hasn't asked in at least a year and a half (When do I get to go home? Who's paying for all this? Where is my car?) It's almost as if she's had a "cognitive by-pass"

Other than battles with the NH, loved ones passing, norovirus and general crap, I haven't been up to much. Sound familiar? LOL

As Deb says, it's never boring.

Sending much love and hugs to all of you,
Kren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Hi All!

I remember you well Kern and was hoping that all was well with you... or as well as can bel!

Behavior is worse when cognition is better. I truly understand that one. Sometimes those moments of clarity are dreaded because of the anxiety and questions it brings. It seems like a never ending roller coaster of ups and down. Just glad you are both doing as well are you are and it is always good to hear from you

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
(female)

Deb,

I'm glad you remember me--I think about you often, especially during my battles at the NH

Thanks for still being here!

I does my heart good to know your Mom is still on the go. My Mom may not be able to walk anymore, but she still says "Let's Go! Let's Go!"

Love,
Kren

Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Kern, if my Mom speaks coherently... that is exactly what she will say first. She will jump up out of her chair, look at me, and say... "Let's go!" Where? Who knows but we walk.

Mom is still walking but more slowly. She has more trouble getting up and down... and has had several minor falls lately. But I will put up with the occasional minor fall to keep her ambulatory. Constipation is becoming a major issue. I am still trying to figure out why. Her good days are not quiet as good and her bad days get a little worse. But that's the way this disease goes.

With it spring with the wild temperature swings I learned Tuesday how important it is to pay attention to what they wear. Mom went out for lunch leaving in the late morning when it was a bit chilly outside. The care manager put on her coat as she should have. But when we returned I went upstairs to talk to the ED and nobody bothered to take off Mom's coat. It had gotten warm and when I returned Mom was red faced and agitated. Her temp was 101.6. HUM... a half hour ago she was fine! I took off her coat and gave her some ice water. In no time, her temp was back to normal and she was her chipper self again. I don't think they will leave her coat on again

Love, deb

Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i remember that behavior so well. it comes and goes. hang in there and see what happens. go with the flow and take it day by day. thats al you can do right now

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
(female)

debbie g - you're absolutely right. I remind myself every day that this is a marathon, not a sprint

Deb - If I know you (and I think I do), nope--they will not leave her coat on again. I bet you gave them "whodunnit and what for"

It's the simple things that really frost my cookies! Like water.

Mom's NH has a wonderful hydration therapist, but on her days off, AARGH! They put a huge styrofoam container of water on Mom's bedside table, just out of reach. If she could reach it, she couldn't lift it. She forgets that it is there. Most of the CNAs don't offer her a drink because either it doesn't occur to them or they know it will increase urination and then they will have to change her. Not like that's their JOB or anything!

I actually had a CNA lecture me the other day that Mom shouldn't drink while she was in bed because she might get pneumonia. True, but she is in bed most of the time and you solve that problem by pushing a button on the hospital bed to raise her to a sitting position. I lectured her right back on the dangers of dehydration in the elderly. I told her Mom would be more confused if they didn't give her anything to drink, and--get this--she said she'd make sure to tell the other CNAs that!

As I've said before, sometimes I wonder who has more cognitive impairment--the patients or the staff?

Well, that's my vent for the day--thanks for listening

Love, Kren

Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kern, I had the same issue with Mom's constipation. BM chart in the office... and nobody remembered to log on it. So I moved it to the wall behind Mom's head when she sits on the toilet. I made it simple. A calendar and a key.... 1LF (one large firm bm). They don't log on it. Then they call me because Mom is cranky, lethargic, leaning, blah blah blah... How long has it been since she had a BM. We don't know because it's not being logged. HA!!!

So I had them call each shift lead and Mom's care manager to find out. It had been 5 days. We handled the constipation and Mom was happy again. Lesson learned... NO! I walk in yesterday and two shift had not logged for 2 days. I stopped on the side of the road and had a prayer meeting with the coordinator.

Today, the Hospice nurse called. Mom's cranky and the BM log is filled out and it has been since Monday! But I bet when I get back tomorrow at least one shift will not log. They just don't think and somebody above them has to impress on them the importance of what needs to be done. Otherwise they just move through the day on auto pilot and I hate auto pilot!

Love, deb

Closed Thread