It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Sweet food

My FIL now only picks up sweet food/desserts and the caregiver has to feed him puree regular food/meal. He knows what is not sweet. It seems his brain does not know regular food but he can still be fed.
Now he needs more help so we plan to move him to the west wing for sicker people with more help. There is one space coming up but it is semi-private. I doubt that he cares about any roommate now. THe NH said he likes to have companion but his personality does not. He used to tell the other mate to get out in the hospital and the hospital always gave him single room.

The east wing is more for people talking/walking/eating on their own, so now he is like a show case and every resident knows him an feels sorry for him there. The NH will help us to move him.

I hope he can still be fed regular food for a while. The worst thing is to have Ensure.

I got a bad cold from Sunday night but I hope I can get better so we can go see my FIL.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 05-10-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Sweet food

Sweet and salty are the survival taste sensations and the last ones to go. Yes, dementia does change the taste of food for the patient. That is why they grab the sweets and snack foods that are salty. Mom is the same way. When the care facilities eliminate the salt from their diet, it is the sweet they go for. But not all sweet is dessert. Sweet potatoes are now one of Mom's favorites. She will pick sweet potatoes and eat them. Fruit is naturally sweet and nutritious. Meat done with fruit sauces works well. Mom gobbled up a sweet lemon ginger chicken she had recently. I have even sprinkled sugar over Mom's veggies with success. Remember that some of what they do is driven by desire. They go back to what they like.... just like we do When they pick at the food but gobble up the dessert you may want to change the diet so that the other foods mimic the dessert... usually sweet and soft.

Ensure is an excellent supplement for those that are eating less and/or losing weight unless it causes diarrhea as it did with Mom. We used it with some success to help Dad maintain his weight. It is high in calories and has the nutrients they need. It is also a consistency that is easy to swallow for those with swallowing difficulties. Letting them eat what they will and then supplementing with Ensure is standard protocol for any resident that has weight loss and/or eating difficulties.

Hope your FIL's move goes well and he gets the additional help that he needs.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread