It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

Emmasue HB User
Sometimes the things they say, are so cute and so sweet...

My sweet Dad,still has quite the sense of humor.He still will say things to get a comedic rise out of us,and for this I am blessed. He started asking about his Mom a few weeks ago. Dad is 83, and she died when he was 14. He wanted to know where she was and so on. All part of the disease.We went along and said that she was out shopping. Used distraction.And he accepted it.I don't like to lie. But in cases like this, I feel it's justified. Never argue or correct them.Asked me why he calls his Mom, "Mom", and his wife "Mom". I told him ,"Hmm whats up with that Dad?' Ha! So, I am glad for his humor and him still having good old belly laughs! He cracks himself up with some things he says! Thank God he is not depressed. Has issues finding the bathroom now,and have to take him there,walk him in, and remind him to pull down his pants. Short term memory loss for this is saving grace. Meaning, under normal conditions, he would be so mortified his daughter is doing this for him. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be doing it either. But he is my Dad, and it is what it is. My new normal.He thinks he is in his home in his hometown as a boy at times. Says this home that he has lived in for 50 plus years, is upside down in his head. We just listen and go along.He asks why he has this disease,and ohhh boy that's a killer... I feel so bad for him when he asks that.We say that we don't know why, but he will ALWAYS be surrounded by his loved ones,and will NEVER be alone.We will always be there to care for him, and love him no matter what. That comforts him. Issues we have are him wanting to shower. He told me today, that he took 2 showers this morning. Hmmm ok Dad.I have heard that's common. Then he doesn't want to leave the house. Doesn't want to even go out on the front porch. So, we abide by his choices to not do so. He has told me he feels secure and content in his home.But, as I started out saying, he has the funniest things to say sometimes, and I consider this a huge blessing,and forever memories for us being made. I'm cherishing these days with my sweet Dad.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
(female)

Charrev HB User
Re: Sometimes the things they say, are so cute and so sweet...

Yes there are sweet moments. Treasure them!

We took my fil downstairs to watch some old film footage. (we have a small theatre with a mini silver screen bil collects). Any way fil would not quit talking and while the brother-in-law changed film. Fil got up shook his backside and said bet you have never seen my a-- and then started giggling. It was like a little kid showing off. We did have a good laugh. He doesn't make sense most of the time but he got that one line out. Sadly he doesn't recognize anybody anymore. We still manage to have a few fun moments. We treasure them! Oh and he likes to kiss and lip hands. Not sure what he is doing with that.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Yes, there are good moment to be experienced. Emmasue, you are lucky that your Dad is content. So many with this disease are not. You are right, don't argue, use distraction, be calm, and they love their routine. We cherish those little moments when life is different but they like to be stuck in their routine. So find those moments and hang on to them.

Even though Mm can no longer communicate effectively and most of the time doesn't know me.... she still makes me snort with laughter almost every time I am with her. If it is not something she says... it's something she does that takes me back to fond memories of the past.

Hang in there

Love, deb

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Linda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB UserLinda1652 HB User

Mom and I have had some of the BEST laughs together, during the past year (following her ugly stage). I will treasure them!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

all4mom HB Userall4mom HB Userall4mom HB User

They become so childlike and innocent, it's heartrending... And, just like little children, they say the darndest things! I've written down some of my mom's. One lady in the rehab keeps lamenting, "We don't know where we are or who we are!" Dementia can really tear down the artificial defenses and bring us face to face with the unvarnished truth. I keep thinking of the Biblical phrase, "Unless ye become like little children again, ye cannot enter the kingdom of heaven"... Surely my mother has her ticket in hand...

Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
(female)

Emmasue HB User

Yes, they become child like. I asked my Dad this morning, if he missed me because my daughter went over to help my Mom and him yesterday afternoon instead of me. His reply? "No, not much." Ha! Gee thanks Dad.. They can all be characters! And that's why we all love them!

Closed Thread