It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Update on Mom

I went to see Mom on Thursday and she was noticeably slower walking. I received a call Friday morning that Mom was "Limping"! By the time I arrived she was "favoring" her right side and walking slowly but still walking. Nobody could up with an explanation until I noticed that she had bruises on both of her elbows!!! Obviously she had a fall at some time. I can not imagine her getting herself up but perhaps another resident helped her up unseen. So we had no idea why she fell. One of those things?

Friday I received a call that her blood sugar had spiked at 265. Her BS had not been above 120 in so long that they had stopped doing regular checks.... just A1C blood test every 6 months. The med tech said she was "acting strangely" so she checked the BS. Mom had gotten out of bed, walked to the bathroom where she was helped to get dressed and ready for the day, and took her meds. They had to help her to the dinning room for breakfast which she didn't eat, and when I arrived she was lying on the couch sound asleep. She did not wake up again until after lunch.

When she woke up she made no move to get off the couch. When we took her to the bathroom she could not stand up let alone walk. I pulled out Dad's wheel chair to use. Hospice came by and after I twisted a few limbs they ordered antibiotics for a potential UTI which could explain the elevated BS and low grade temp. She was not in bad humor, smiled, and ate some soup, part of a sandwich, and lots of cranberry juice. She was in bed and sleeping early.

This today, she is still having trouble standing let alone walking. She seemed happy in the wheel chair and ate ok. She didn't even try to stand up until supper time. After a few attempts she settled back down. She tried it once more after supper but was then content until bedtime. She is not sleeping.

I will be back in the AM to make sure the urinalysis is done and see how she is. She went from walking to non ambulatory between waking up and after breakfast

love, deb

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Gabriel
aras (06-04-2012), Martha H (06-04-2012), mitsy (06-04-2012), ninamarc (06-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Update on Mom

I remember when mum had a quite dramatic change in ability I was told that a slight stroke could be the cause. She improved after a couple of weeks.
I hope that all is well with your mother. Take care, Ce

Old 06-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I hope there is improvment today. Yes, a UTI is always a possibiity. Sorry you have this new worry. God bless you and all caregivers.

Love,

Martha

Old 06-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #4
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User

Deb
Sorry fot this new development. Maybe she is sore from the fall and will improve in the days to come. Uti always a possibility. Maybe that would be the easiest thing to correct. Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.
Aras

Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
(female)

keaner HB Userkeaner HB User

So sorry to hear your update. I hope things do go better today for you and your mom.

Sounds exactly what I went through a few short weeks ago.

Good luck. Know people are thinking of you...

Sherry

Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Deb, sorry to know that your Mom has trouble walking now.
My FIL did the similar thing: He just stopped walking the next day and fell on May 2 in 2011. On May 1, 2011 he was in the concert outside in downtown on a cane, then the next day he fell and started using the old walker a week later. He has stopped walking and is chair-bound since Nov.
Now my FIL does not like the wheelchair saying his legs hurt. His legs are more rigid on the chair and he cannot move them. Now in the bed, somehow when he wakes up on and off, he can move his legs. So now he is more bedridden after lunch until dinner.

It just happened like that and I know how you feel. Hope it is not the case but sometimes it is just the decline!

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 06-04-2012 at 07:34 AM.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User

Dear Deb, Am very sorry to hear of your Mom's recent developments. I cannot imagine what you are going through, and I cannot add much. You have given me so much help and support; I just want to say that I am sorry and that I am here. -luluau

Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Oh sweet Deb -

I am so sorry. Holding you especially close in my heart today........keep us posted.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I had a similar situation with my mom. She was living in a facility and it is a state law that the patient is transported to the hospital if there is a fall. We went through a period where she would fall...and I would get a call that she had been taken to the ER. I would jump in the car and drive out to where she was and spend the day in the ER while they ran a bunch of tests. Their first guess was always that she'd had a slight stroke. In every case, it turned out to be a UTI. Finally after a couple times, I wised up and insisted they do a urine test FIRST. Every time she had a fall, we found a UTI.

I soon learned that in the elderly a UTI mimics the symptoms of stroke, and in a matter of hours, it can greatly affect the patient. I never could figure out why the ER staff didn't automatically run a urine test...but I think no one wanted to be bothered because they'd have to cath her to get a urine sample.

I hope this is what they find with your mom. They are so easy to clear up and hopefully, she will quickly regain her mobility.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

so sorry to hear that. could be uti who knows as long as you are able to be there with her she will be fine. thinking of you and hope u have some answers by now.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Teteri... I refuse to let them cath Mom for a urinalysis... not going to happen. My grandmother contracted sepsis that way so if necessary I will sit with Mom giving her liquids until I get the sample myself. That is exactly what I did today. But the urine specimen is off to the lab for analysis! I should know something in 24 hours.

Mom's facility may be a rarity but if the patient is on Hospice then Hospice is called first. The decision to transport to the ER is left to the Hospice nurse in consultation with the family. That is why Mom has not been to the ER even though there was a possible fall the end of last week. That gives us time to do the urinalysis and observe first

Mom was in good humor today and she ate well. Even had a shower this morning. But she is not walking at all and can not even stand by herself. She does cling when we get her out of the chair as if she is fearful of falling. My mother that walked constantly all day just last Friday, has not even tried to get out of the wheel chair.

We will know more when the urinalysis results come back....

Love, deb

The following user gives a hug of support to Gabriel:
ninamarc (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User

oh deb, I am sorry to read of this dramatic change in your mom, only on this board do we pray for a UTI... imagine that, my mom never got over wanting to walk, to go home, and such, I love to hear that she smiles and was eating a little, she could be really sore from falling if her elbows are bruised, give her a day or two to get over it, maybe some asprin for the stiffness may help... sending you big hugs...

judy

Old 06-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
(female)

CAJ0818 HB UserCAJ0818 HB UserCAJ0818 HB User

Dear Deb,

You and your Mom are in my prayers. ((((hugs))))

Love,
Julie/CAJ

Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just had a long talk and report on Mom from my wonderful Hospice Social Worker. He is an angel!! In my crazy life I know I can depend on his call, every Tuesday at noon, just to find out how I am doing Hospice is great for Mom... and me as well. Sometimes we forget the benefit of having somebody there for US as well as our loved ones.

Mom was content this morning sitting in her wheel chair. The care giver that has been with her 5 days a week on first shift for the last 3 years is giving her plenty to keep her hands busy. My sister did decide to go today and take the two great grand daughters. Mom was enjoying their visit. So obviously she is in good humor, not in pain, eating, and enjoying life.... just not walking or even attempting to get up. Who would have imagined it.... my Mom not fighting that change!! That is what has me shock!!! But at this point, whether it is permanent or temporary, as long as Mom is content I am happy!

On day at a time.... and I will be back there tomorrow! I just had to take a day off to recharge my energy and knew my dear social worker and sister would be there for Mom

Love, deb

Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Good to know your Mom is content, Deb. Sure hope she enjoys your sister's visit.
Take a break and hope Mom will get better.
My FIL didn't really fight for walking either although he did ask my husband if he can survive. It is the same with talking, he does not fight it anymore or ever.
It is like he is used to it like a baby!
A few years ago in 2007/2008, he was fighting like hell trying to walk and jog on a cane!

Hugs,
Nina

Closed Thread