It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Washing Hair

I'm having a hard time getting my mom to wash her hair. When she has a shower at the nursing home she'll have a shower but not do her hair. If I bring this to her attention she'll tell me "I did it a couple of days ago", or "I'll do it tonight or tomorrow morning" and when the time comes she forgets that she said this the day before. She doesn't think her hair is that dirty. If I ask her to do it when I'm visiting with her she says she doesn't want to do it when I'm there and waste time. It is really hard to get her to agree to wash her hair. Any ideas on how I can handle this situation??

Old 06-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
(female)

kicknscream HB User
Re: Washing Hair

I'm interested in this too since my Mom gives me a hard time every time I wash her hair. I can't get her in the shower so I use a baby bathtub and have her lay across her bed and put the tub on the side of the bed. It works very well since her bathroom is close by and it's easy to get water quickly to pour over her head. She usually angrily asks, "Who said I have to do this?!?!" and I say the doctor or her sister. I always get everything ready and just sort of get real assertive about it saying the doctor says you have to. Lately she doesn't care what they say though, so it's getting more difficult to convince her. You can't force them to do something they don't want to do IMO. It's hard to reason with insanity

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

autismmom05 HB User

Maybe she would like to try a milder shampoo or a dry shampoo? Is she giving a specific reason why? Or is she simply forgetting to do it while she's in the shower? I mean, how dirty are we talking here? Many people only use shampoo only every 3-4 days, I've even heard a week. Past that, I'd see your concern!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i s there a salon in the nh? we took my mom once a week. sometimes twice but her hair always stayed. this i know was very important to my mom.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
(female)

I took my mom to the hairdresser April 24th and she hasn't washed it since then. The staff say that she has a shower but doesn't wash her hair. They tell me they can't make her. She doesn't want to do it when I visit. I don't know how much longer she can go on like this. I guess I'll just have to leave her be and let nature take its course. So hard to see her this way.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
(female)

The hairdresser at the nursing home charges $35 for wash, cut and blow dry. This is highway robbery especially with people who live in long term care. They sure take advantage of people who are less fortunate. I take her to a hairdresser where it costs $14 for a cut and blow dry. Wash is extra. But with her haircut she doesn't have to go to the hairdresser only every 2 months. She has a short bob. This haircut really looks pretty and makes her look younger.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

I don't use the hair dresser at the facility either. My sister comes by once a month and cuts her hair. She does as good as anybody could. The care managers do wash Mom's hair twice a week. They use a hand held shower head as to not get much water in her face. They don't really ask. They just wet the hair and put the shampoo on it. Then they comb it and let it dry naturally. Many times those with dementia do not understand what you are asking, what it involves, or how much they are expected to do... so they just say no. That is why Mom's care managers don't ask But if your Mom is truly against it... It is not something that is worth the fight. There are dry shampoos that you could try. Perhaps just let them wash it when they cut it and let it dry naturally. Glad you got her a good hair cut

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
bearcubs (06-25-2012)
Old 06-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
(female)

Suzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB User

My aunt's NH has a little beauty salon that charges $13 fo cut, dry and style and $20 for color.

She loves it but a few times she has gotten this way about showering and bathing and they say they just say OK and then spray her anyway. once she gets wet she goes along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcubs View Post
I'm having a hard time getting my mom to wash her hair. When she has a shower at the nursing home she'll have a shower but not do her hair. If I bring this to her attention she'll tell me "I did it a couple of days ago", or "I'll do it tonight or tomorrow morning" and when the time comes she forgets that she said this the day before. She doesn't think her hair is that dirty. If I ask her to do it when I'm visiting with her she says she doesn't want to do it when I'm there and waste time. It is really hard to get her to agree to wash her hair. Any ideas on how I can handle this situation??

Closed Thread