It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
(female)

Keysey HB UserKeysey HB UserKeysey HB User
I'm not sure who is more confused

I know it is normal for an Alz patient to be fine one minute confused the next. I'm at dad now for the reunion. Doomsday is here. Guess this is where the tough get going. Dad insists he is fine but I know he needs to move. Sorry I haven't checked in. Soul searching is my main project lately. Praying you are all well.
Love, Lee

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Re: I'm not sure who is more confused

Good to hear from you, was wondering how it was going with you. I do hope dad will come for that extended visit. .
Hugs judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
(female)

Suzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB UserSuzy0513 HB User

Sometimes all you can do is your best. You can rarely - if EVER - reason with an Alz or Dem patient.

Often it takes a crisis to get them in a position to actually move - it did for us. Absent that crisis I don't know how on earth we would have gotten her out.

Sometimes you have to manufacture a crisis to get the right things to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysey View Post
I know it is normal for an Alz patient to be fine one minute confused the next. I'm at dad now for the reunion. Doomsday is here. Guess this is where the tough get going. Dad insists he is fine but I know he needs to move. Sorry I haven't checked in. Soul searching is my main project lately. Praying you are all well.
Love, Lee

Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Keysey, as said before, the brain of most dementia patients doesn't let them know that it is damaged. What they perceive is their reality and they do not see anything wrong with what they believe. That is why you can not leave important decisions to someone with dementia beyond the early stages. The early stages are BEFORE you notice symptoms. When you believe there is a problem, there has been a problem for a LONG time. Dad's damaged brain is telling him he is fine and the rest of you have a problem. You have to believe what you know (that Dad has dementia) as strongly as he believes that he is fine

We think of dementia as Memory loss and that gets us into trouble. Dementia is progressive brain damage that is caused by a disease. It does not just affect memory. It affect every part of cognition. It causes poor judgement, irrational behavior, inability to follow instructions or know how to do something. Those with dementia lose their sense of place, time, and purpose. Then they forget. Dad didn't take a shower this morning because he didn't think he needed on and didn't have a clue how to do it. In his mind he didn't need one.. and then he forgets if he took it or not. You ask if he had a shower and he will probably tell you yes... and you think the world is good.

So while you go forward with bringing Dad home remember that you are only seeing the tip of the dementia ice burg that he is living. Your decision was the right one and now you just have to follow through....

Love, deb

Closed Thread