It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
In the new wing now

Well, my FIL is now in the new wing for skilled-care. However the nurses are so busy so we have to find out what is going on. The doctor should be in the NH today. Sounds like this side is busier. It is good because they treat the residents like serious patients. No news is good news, I guess.

There is one thing that is interesting. Even in the first day when we came to the new home, the family director did say that they always try to tell the family what is going on with the residents by leaving a phone message or contacting the family. Any sickness or change of med and etc. She said some families didn't want to know. Monday the residential care director actually said sorry that he bothered us (he didn't think my FIL was serious that morning.) saying some families don't want to know. My husband said oh do tell don't worry about it.

Does this mean the families don't care? Or they are polite that they don't want the NH to notify them every time little things happen? Do they see the residents a lot? It is puzzling that the families don't want to know unless it is emergency.

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 07-05-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: In the new wing now

The doctor didn't see him today knowing about the situation. Guess the NH handles it well. My FIL is still on oxygen and he uses the hospital bed. But he did get up to be fed.
So at least he is stable.

Nina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Nina, the family director is right... some families do NOT want to know and they do NOT want to be bothered. We have several like that at our facility. I actually buy supplies for one resident because nobody can get a message though to her daughter when she needs toothpaste. If they do get in touch with her over an illness or medical change, she gets annoyed that she is bothered. It is best to let everybody at the facility know that you WANT them to call you if there is any change or anything they need or anything that might be important. Not all care givers are created equally

Glad your FIL got up to eat and seems to be stable. I do hope this new wing of care works well for him.

Love, deb

Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The director is talking about the little details that don't need the family's help. That means if the changes are not for the family to deal with, they don't want to know. Not that the families don't buy the stuff for the loved ones. This NH does have better families but the NH is too good to tell families everything. To me, I am curious and want to know. Yes, every time they leave a message I wonder if it is bad news but it is good to know that we are connected. I think some family member may be too busy in the day that they don't want to deal with every little thing. Not that there may be some cold family members.

At least my FIL is stable. He may be able to start hospice but my husband may not be ready for this concept yet... It was funny that I had to make the residential care director explain that feeding tube is not a good option for my FIL. Remember last time he told my husband there was no right and wrong???

Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 07-05-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Closed Thread