It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
(female)

all4mom HB Userall4mom HB Userall4mom HB User
Home Care: Update

So it's now officially a MONTH (as of last Friday) that Mom is home from the rehab; hooray! We've both survived, despite the skepticism of my brother... The first day was a bit unnerving, after six weeks in the "rehab" (nursing home), and I can see where both patients and families could easily become institutionalized and doubt their own ability to make it outside the facility...

Shaky knees or no, I was DETERMINED to bring her home, and I did; esp. overwhelming because she was on a JPEG tube and I was, for the first time, soley responsible for this (being soley responsible for her medications, safety, and general health and well-being was nothing new to me, but THIS was a little disconcerting). Not only have I pretty much mastered the bolus feed, I have -- as of this weekend -- successfuly utilized the PUMP, while provides a continuous feed over (in our case) 12 hours, freeing me up to leave her with a caregiver for extended periods. This means an uninterrupted day of work or even a weekend hike or other recreational outing without my being figuratively "tethered" to the house and feeds every five or so hours. It's also better for Mom's digestion than the great volume of fluid at once...

Hence, the "danger" of her being returned to a facility -- probably a pretty bad one, since the good ones won't have her! -- because we couldn't make it at home (she had 30 days to use her remaining unused 55 Medicare days).

And even brother seems impressed as how smoothly we're wheeling along!

Not that it's all roses; Mom still has "the terrible twos," which is how her vascular dementia (mostly frontotemporal) manifests itself, and I'm not entirely pleased with the care she gets from others when I'm not there (we're still "trying out" various CNAs, and I'm "trying" to be less picky/demanding), but I'm managing to work pretty much full-time again and even got away for a fun outing with friends yesterday for the first time since this all began...

Just wanted to update you and thank you again for all the helpful input...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Home Care: Update

Glad everything is going as well as it is... hopefully you will find good dependable help that work for you and your Mom soon

Love, deb

Closed Thread