It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Drinking alcohol

I think what we all need to realize is that we each look at all these situations thru the prism of our experience. I unfortunately have had a lot of interaction with people for whom alcohol and prescriptions drugs are problematic and some who have had mental illnesses. So when the OP brought the topic of the relative who is an alcoholic and presents certain behaviours, wet brain came immediately to mind. And so Gabriel immediately went to a form of dementia. You can list the symptoms of both and find many similarities. But on the face of it, since the woman is an alcoholic, the most likely cause is those conditions caused by or exacerbated by alcohol. Same with Luau and Lucy. I leaned towards a mental health issue - and I still do. But that's the prism I look thru.

What does all this mean? Only that people with these behaviours should be evaluated by a health care professional who can discern the exact problem and how to resolve or treat it. I think it is good for all of us to keep this in mind.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I believe what I believe. Of course, it is just a maybe. I am not saying anyone can go around saying this or that causes dementia. Except for alcohol issue, many types of dementia have unknown causes. Are you God to know it is not for sure or it is for sure?
If they are studying the causes, I cannot go around and say no "extra worry does not cause dementia exactly".... It is not a direct link. Life is not so simple. Causes and effects are not so direct at times.

Nina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #18
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you seen the news reports this weekend from the journal Nature that they had found a gene coding mutation, A673T, that protects a person from forms of dementia?
Would be be very interesting if they found a way to cause this mutation in those who don't already have it....as a preventive measure.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

No, I am not God (I don't think it has anything to do with being God) and I can not say exactly what causes dementia. There are way too many different dementia and too many different causes to make such a blanket statement. That is why I am not willing to say that worry causes dementia. Statistical connection do not necessary indicate causes. It could be a statistical phenomenon when in fact there is no connection. It could be an effect and not a cause. Even the study gives no definitive conclusion except it warrants further study. At this point there is no direct link... just a statistical connection that is yet to be understood. You are free to believe whatever you wish but I truly do not want somebody else walking away with the idea that antidepressants or anti psychotics will prevent dementia. That is how false hope begins... and why there are people on the internet making a fortune from these statistical connections that are unproven. Having dealt with statistic in masters classes... statistics can be deceptive like nothing else

Tichou I did and I do hope this can lead to something ground breaking! My grandmother died of Alzheimer's in l977. For 34 years I have followed research in this field and so far that great breakthrough has not happened despite the frequent claims of an intimate breakthrough. Possible breakthroughs make great news.... I still have hope because each time we learn something new it brings us closer to the moment. Yet I am a skeptic tempered that hope. Aricept (with great fanfare as being a miracle drug) was approved in 1996, about the same time Dad was diagnosed. And yep he was on that medication with no obvious benefits. As we know today, it's not that miracle drug. I remember when Namenda was approved in 2003. I was the one that found the information and gave it to Dad's doctor. Again the touted miracle drug turned out not to be that miracle drug and the FDA actually rejected it's use in 2004 for early Alzheimer's. Mom gave away her aluminum pots, stop using antiperspirants, did mind games, live an extremely healthy life style, searched the internet for a "cure" or "prevention", and even started taking antidepressants when something was wrong. Yet she sits in a care facility in the later stages of Alzheimer's. Yes I am still hopeful... one day.... just not yet

Love, deb

Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

The funny part is when my Mom heard of the latest development for Alzheimer's drug or vaccine, she thought it was coming fast. However the CBS news said it is cautioned that the new stuff may work. But it is coming out to be used for the patient very soon.
Probably when we get older, there will be some hope or prevention!

Nina

Closed Thread