It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
(female)

pammi167 HB User
Smile Activities for alzheimers

Hi, we spend so much time just trying to make my best friend (who happens to be my Mother) happy.

Couple of things you can try:

Stuffed toy - or baby (Mum now has a stuffed dog she takes to bed and he is her baby and it makes such a difference. I have stuffed toys without alzheimers and tuck them into bed - ohhh looks like I am a candidate lol - seriously - it helps. Try and give them ONE they can love and others to look at

Balloons - there are a variety of helium balloons that give weeks of pleasure, plus your everyday balloon. Try gettting one and throwing it to your loved one (actually with or without alz - I love it!!!)

Painting with water - these books are great but get the educational ones, not the ones with colour already there. There are some nice ones on ebay I have found and the better ones in shops. So, what happens is they dip a paintbrush in water and put it on the picture and it colours - it is a brilliant way to pass some time and particularly if they were arty.

Knitting - my mum knitted most days of her life but now its not happening, which is a shame. However, for her last few scarfs, I got her thick wool and huge needles - so if they can still do it, at least it is a quick, rewarding thing.

Most of all, tell them you love them and they are beautiful and hug them. It should come from the heart

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread