It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #46
(female)

all4mom HB Userall4mom HB Userall4mom HB User
Re: Moved Mom in 2 months ago

Getting up during "Cat From Hell" and closing the blinds, lol... Try to see the humor in these episodes, if you can; it can get rather surreal! I would say the most difficult part of my journey with Mom was just about a year ago; she had been, um, hard to deal with for years before that (first vascular dementia, then a head injury in the frontotemporal region, so mostly mood/behavior symptoms), but the worst part was a year ago, when she was still mobile enough to wander around in the middle of the night yelling my name and threatening to climb (and no doubt fall down) the stairs, turning the light switch on and off, on and off, on and off until I finally had to unscrew the bulb! In many ways, it's sad to say, the sicker and more infirm she gets, the easier the job of caring for her becomes. Although again last night she managed to get my goat by calling and calling until I was up and out of bed and standing by her side, only to have her ask me, "Are you in bed?" Sometimes you can't help loosing your cool, but they know we love them.

The following user gives a hug of support to all4mom:
2rose17 (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #47
(female)

2rose17 HB User

Well Mom went to her sisters for a few days. It is the first time she's been gone from here in 3 months. I felt really relaxed lastnight once I got home from taking her there. Tonight I've got my radio playing and NO TV! My TV is grateful for the rest.
Before we went to my aunts, I got her teeth cleaned and a haircut. Monday she goes to the Optalmaligist for a Macular Degeneration check up.
Hopefully she is having a nice time. She will get to go to church tomorrow night.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #48
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That is what a respite does for you. Hopefully she will have a good visit and you will have time to relax physically and mentally for a while. Everybody needs a break once in a while and why I always encourage every care giver to find help on a regular basis to give them those breaks that they need. Enjoy every minute

Love, deb

Old 09-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #49
(female)

2rose17 HB User

Things have been going pretty good with Mom. She has trouble with our remote control as it's "different". I either have to leave the tv on when I leave for work or she has to wait until my husband gets up which could be 11am as he works nights. Sometimes she lays in bed until then. Today I was off and decided to go to the pool. I layed the remote by where she sits on the couch and put a sticky note on it pointing to the green power button with instruction.....much to my amazement, when I returned from the pool, the tv was on!!! She can follow instruction- sometimes....

I left her to visit with an elderly friend of mine (83) who still lives by herself, while I ran to Sam's Club. I was only gone 30 minutes or so. They apparently had a great time chatting (83 yr old probably did most of the talking!) while I was gone yesterday.

Finally got the rest of her things, including her bed from the other house. She is happy to have a big bed (which is new) to sleep on. All in all, it's quieted down and things are running as smoothly as can be expected

Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I think it helps if she can be shown the fixed way to turn up/down the volume or turn it on and off. For sure she would not know how to change channels later. You may want to set it at a good channel for a long while soe she can watch it. (Say Animal Planet or History or Cartoons.) Gradually she will not know how to use the remote control. It will come down to simple buttons first.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

2rose.. .there are good days and not so good day which comes and go. One day they will do ok and the next day is total confusions. That is the roller coaster of early to mid stage dementia. Today the note will work and tomorrow she will not be able to understand the note or what that black box is. I am glad you had such a good day and I do hope it continues. Just be prepared for those other days. Know that routine is your Mom's friend. It sill help her stay as stable as possible. Just be alert to what is next... and enjoy the good days with her.

Love, deb

Reply Reply