It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
In Hospital

My mom went into the hospital yesterday. Another resident pushed my mom and she fell. They took x-rays today and we are waiting for the results. If there is a fracture what are your ideas about surgery for a person who has dementia. I am hoping and praying this is not the case but if it is I don't know what to do and I don't know what my mom would want.

bearcubs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: In Hospital

Chances are, she is just find Bearcub I am sure they are just being cautious. If there is a break you need to know where the break is and the options for treatment. Mom broke her hand. The doctor talked about surgery to pin the bone but when we informed him that Mom had Alzheimer's and did not want to put her through the surgery, he assured us it would heal nicely without the surgery. That is exactly what happened. When she fell and broke her upper arm, surgery was not even mentioned and it healed quickly. But if there is a displaced hip fracture that is causing her pain, that might be worth the surgery. Just know you do not need to make an immediate decision on what to do. Make sure the doctor understands that your Mom has dementia. Make sure he understands that you only want surgery if it is unavoidable to prevent pain or other complication. Before you make a decision talk to your Mom's primary physician. Know that you do have choices... get all the information possible to make an informed decision

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
jagsmu (08-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

It is probably nothing that requires surgery. Sometimes the fracture may be so small that she only needs painkillers at home. Once they find nothing, she can go home. Sometimes they cannot detect a minor fracture.
It depends on how much pain she has now. If she can help, try to avoid surgery. If it is the hip, it depends on how much pain and what they can do for her. The doctor needs to know she has dementia but the decision will be up to you.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
(female)

My mom has a fracture in her hip. She will be having surgery tomorrow. I am so scared for her. She really doesn't understand the severity of it. It is so hard for me.

Bearcubs

The following user gives a hug of support to bearcubs:
aras (08-18-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i am so sorry to hear this. she will be fine. i know there is a lot of rehab to do. let us know how she is and how you are.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

That is difficult bearcub You are doing what needs to be done. I do hope she will be on the road to recover soon. Please keep us updated on her progress. Hang in there. You are a good daughter and doing what is best for your Mom!

Love, deb

Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Sorry it is the hip fracture. I hope the rehab can help her. It is going to be hard. Praying for you.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

So sorry you & your mom are having to go through this Bearcub. Sending healing thoughts & prayers your way - and angels to watch over you too

Old 08-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
(female)

Update on my mom. She is out of the hospital and back to the nursing home. She had her operation and is in a lot of pain. They give her medicine to help the pain but she keeps on saying it is so sore. I know it takes a long time to heal. Seeing her in this pain just tears my heart apart. It is just killing me inside. We saw her today and she was feeling sick. I'm thinking it could be all the meds she is getting and also she is not going to the bathroom very much. I am wondering if she is holding it in so she won't have to stand up and go to the bathroom. It is so hard seeing her this way with the aids helping her get dressed, washed, in and out of the wheelchair and using the walker. It is so painful for her. She wants me there all the time but I'm only able to go in the afternoon because physically, mentally and emotionally is all I can handle. The sad part is it is all on my shoulders and husband because we don't have any family living nearby. How long is it expected that she will be in pain everyday? I know everyone is different. They are giving her all the meds that can be taken. Thank you for listening. Hugs to everyone affected by this horrific disease. God Bless You.

bearcubs

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

It will take a while for her to get back to "normal". Hang in there and do what you can. What you can't do let the care staff do. Mom is being well cared for and you need to take care of yourself as well.

It sounds like they are making an attempt to control her pain which is a good thing. If there is discomfort when she moves then she may want to stay still. She probably does not understand what is wrong and it is frightening. She likes you there before you are stability for her. We have to remember that our loved ones can't process changes like we do. Just know that it will be over soon.

The one thing you said that did stand out in my mind was that she was not going to the bathroom much. Infrequent urination can be caused by dehydration. Make sure the care staff is giving her plenty to drink. Since she is not up and about as much this may be overlooked. Depending on the medication she is on she may need additional liquids to help flush her kidneys as well. A lack of BM might be because of the pain medication which does constipate. She may need a mild laxative to help with that situation. Additional liquids are also critical.

Hang in there because the worst is over and she will get better every day

Love, deb

Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Bearcubs,

I know you want to be there for her everyday but you need to take care of yourself. My mom was really sick a few years ago and was in rehab for about 2 months and I got burnt out going back and forth and also being a control freak that I am . I ended up on anti-depressants from it, am still on them by the way, and wish I had not pushed myself so much.

My mom is now 96 and doing great and here I am on these darn pills lol! So please take care of yourself. Hope she does alright. cj

Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Thanks for the update Bear. Sorry your mom is in pain Deb covered everything so well (love you Deb!) that I am just adding my love & hugs!!

Do try to get some rest. I know it's so hard when there's a crisis like this. we're all pulling for you!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
(female)

My mom has a heart murmur and the doctors have her on oxycontin. She is sleeping a lot and not wanting to get up and walk or eat. I spoke to the nurses at the nursing home and they don't feel there is anything to worry about, that is just takes time for the body to get use to it. Just wondering when she'll be more alert. She gets out of bed a sits in the chair for 5 minutes then wants to go to bed. As far as walking she'll walk a very short distance and this wears her out and she wants to go to bed. Any thoughts please.

Last edited by bearcubs; 08-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sorry your Mom is in pain. Try to give her prune juice for constipation. It works better than any med.
I don't know what is her stage. It depends. If she is in severe stage, the surgery and pain may be traumatic and she may decline a bit. If she drops too much, it would be dangerous for her. If she does not eat, you may ask them to try to give her pureed food so it is easier for her to take it. Make sure she drinks and eats. If she sleeps a lot and eat little, it is dangerous. Do ask the NH for advice. Call the doctor for advice. Check with the nurses. If she can get up once in a while and eat, it will be good. If she has swallowing problem, then it is not good. I cannot say how bad, but do check with the NH to find out what is going on. Did they give her some morphine? It may help.
The stage could be crucial. If she is in moderate stage, she could fight and get out of this situation.

Hugs,
Nina

Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I would ask for some Ensure for her to drink daily as well to make sure she's
getting her nutrients. My mom had to do that. They even have one that's flavored like butter pecan, if you have to you can bring it in yourself but put her name on it. They should have a refrigerator there for yall to use. I kept that, applesauce, pudding, things that were easy for her to deal with.

You can also request a meeting w/ the dr., social worker and nurse to discuss her current condition to get everyone's input to make sure everyone is talking to each other. They can come up with a plan. Hope this helps cj

Reply Reply