It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
(female)

LeighA146 HB User
Unhappy My Grandma! xo

So for the past 3 1/2 years, my grandma's alzheimer's has gotten progressively worse. Its now to the point where she doesn't walk. Now we're not sure if she can't walk because of the disease, or she's really can't physically walk. So now she's at home in a mobile hospital bed. I wonder, is this her last phase? Is it called a phase? I woke up this morning and had what I like to call a "grandma moment". When my mom and I get upset talking about her and what this horrible disease has done to us and to our family, this is what we call a "grandma moment". But please I just need anyone I can relate to, thank you for listening.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: My Grandma! xo

Hi Leigh,

Welcome aboard! Sorry that you are here because of AD.
My late FIL had regular onset AD and he was 91 when he died in July.

Yes, Alzheimer's disease makes one decline slowly and in the end, the person loses the walking, talking and eating abilities. My late FIL was on the cane since late 2007 until 2011 May when he stopped walking and needed a walker. He began the wheelchair in Nov. Later on, he became 75% bedridden (going to bed taking a nap all day.) He died from eating issue as well as breathing issue (CHF).
Sadly to say, this is severe stage of AD and it is the clinical stage 7.
You can find out if Grandma had other issues for not walking. If all were checked, it is due to AD. You can tell because it is the lack of brain co-ordination and the legs have no injury or anything.
It will take a while. Just enjoy the time you have with her now. Cherish the moments and you will always recall them fondly.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 08-18-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Hi Leigh -

Sorry for what you and your family are going through. This disease is very devastating on many levels. There is a thread at the top of the main Alzheimer's page that describes the 7 stages of Alzheimers. I found that helpful to read when my stepdad was first diagnosed. It does sound like your grandmother is in the later stage.

I lost my stepdad in January of this year to a type of dementia - frontal temporal lobe dementia. I'm with Nina - try to enjoy the time you have with your grandmother. Spend the time with her that you can and express the things you want to express. Even if she isn't really responsive, I think it's very important for us to still tell them we love them, etc.

There is alot of great support on this board. You and your family are not alone. Feel free to come here and share whatever you need to. I so understand the "grandma moments". Let us know how you and your family are doing. Think of us as your extended Alzheimer's family here

Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Welcome Leigh. Sorry you needed to find us but glad you did. This is a great place to learn of the experiences of others, get support, and vent when necessary. We are all have this disease in common.

Please associate Grandma Moments with the good moments, those moments of joy, that you can still have with your Grandma. The devastation you feel is caused by this horrible disease. If you focus on the disease progression as a whole it will make you nuts. If you take one moment at a time, enjoying those good moments with grandma, it all goes a little better. You can't eat the cow but one steak at a time you can enjoy the entire cow!

There are two books I can recommend. One is "Creating Moments of Joy" by Jolene Brackey. This helps understand how to create those moments of joy and hang on to them. The other is "Coping with Alzheimer's: The Caregiver's Survival Guide" by Rose Oliver and Frances Bock. This book helped me to focus my thinking on the positive.

The inability to walk is just one of the many loses an Alzheimer's patient will go through. There are general guidelines in the stages of Alzheimer's but remember that each patient is different. They will lose an ability at different times. My Mom lost her Auditory Perception very early in the disease. Others I have know did not lose this ability until very late in the disease. Mom also lost her ability to speak very early. Yet she walked long after both her Auditory Perception and ability to speak were gone. But I did notice that her walking went away when her ability to feed herself went away. Obviously her motor muscle control was begin affected by the disease. The brain in no longer telling her muscles what they should do. I also noticed a decline in her awareness of her surroundings. You have to look at Grandma's cognitive abilities and physical condition as a whole to determine where she is. Is she still responsive? Does she connect when you interact with her. Is she able to feed herself still? How is her physical health? It is all interconnected and no two patients are the same.

Tomorrow morning try to speak of something delightful related to Grandma. Did she make you smile? Did she say something that was humorous? Is there a memory that connects to the day that bring positive light?

Hope to hear from you soon and often

Love, deb

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

so sorry you had to find us. this is a terrible disease. the support on this board is amazing. welcome and keep venting. emotions run so high with dealing with this disease. please keep venting.

Reply Reply