It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
(female)

scorptired HB Userscorptired HB User
It's been a while...

It's been a while since I posted. There's a lot of changes in my husband as the disease progresses. He's at Stage 6 from what I see and the neurologist believes he is, too. He's having hallucinations 'hearing orchestras' and birds singing 'elvis songs' and sometimes he says I'm 'upside down'. His speech is getting really bad, motor movements are getting more distorted and he seems to be favoring his left side, simple everyday words are getting away from him, forgets our kids' names, cannot use utensils effectively (I cut all his food that needs cutting), he also has a vacant look to his eyes, and sleeps a lot (more than 16 hours a day sometimes). I miss my husband and best friend even though he's right next to me...

The following user gives a hug of support to scorptired:
ninamarc (08-24-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: It's been a while...

I am so sorry your husband, and you, have to go through this. Yes it does sound like he is in the later stages. Amazing how this disease takes away so many abilities a bit at a time. How are you doing? We always tend to talk about how our loved ones with Dementia are doing but I would love to know how you are??

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
scorptired (08-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

I am so sorry that your husband is very sick. Have you tried to hire any part-time caregiver to come to the home to help you? Is he in the house with you? It seems that you are so sad. Have you got any break from the caregiving? Sometimes it helps if you walk away for a few hours and help yourself. Please consider extra help from other caregivers. I know you must miss him so. Please feel free to vent here. This site can help you go through the hard time.
Please take care of yourself as well.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 08-24-2012 at 01:12 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ninamarc:
scorptired (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
(female)

Thank you! I'm hanging in there. It's overwhelming and sad at times when he's so confused and the person that he was is not there totally. He's at home or in the car with me all the time. I found out the car is not very safe at times. He opened the passenger door while we were driving on an interstate going 70 mph. He didn't have any reason for it other than he thought something was on the side of the car. I'm looking into getting help watching him when I have to check on our workers and such. The problem is, he is getting very anti-social and doesn't want to be with anyone besides me and our daughter at home.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

........"he is getting very anti-social and doesn't want to be with anyone besides me and our daughter at home."........

This is a classic symptom of the disease. The sooner you find a companion that can stay with him the better. Introduce them a a new friend that has stopped by to talk to him about a hobby. Fill in the care giver to his likes and dislikes. Stay with them for the first visit or two until Dad gets used to this person being there. That will help with the adjustment to another person in the house. Dad's care giver was a "fish expert". She spent many afternoons out at the Koi pond with Dad. Dad started looking forward to her being there. When you find the right person it will be wonderful because you will have the time away that you must have. We think additional care is expensive... but it is well worth it for the well being of our loved ones and ourselves.

Dad was notorious for opening doors before the car stopped as well. My new used car that I bought had child safety locks which I activated. He couldn't open the door until the car was in Park! Most cars do have this feature now so see if that is possible. This disease will increase creativity as we look for ways around what they give us to deal with

Love, deb

scorptired (09-02-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

I activated the child safety locks after that incident. I also activate the windows lock in the car when he's in the car because he's opened the window while we're traveling at a high rate of speed and it just about blows out our eardrums. I tell folks that I have a toddler that's never going to grow up.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That is close to reality It amazed me how many child safety items I used for Mom and Dad. Child safety latches on the cabinet when there was something that I didn't want them to get to. It is amazing what Mom can do with a gallon of bleach!!! Those door knob covers kept Dad from going out the front door near the street. Drawer latches kept them both out of drawers that had knives and other items they didn't need to be "playing" with. If you don't want it broken then you put it away. Dementia proofing your life is very much like childproofing! Less is better!... and you have to out think them every moment!

Love, deb

scorptired (09-02-2012)
Reply Reply