It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

AliRieg HB User
Concerned

I have no idea if this is even the right place to post this question....
Today while driving to work my husband was talking to me and all of a sudden in the middle of a sentence he totally blanked and forgot my name...and not just for a second...he looked at me blankly and finally I said, "You don't know my name?" and he replied No. He just looked at me totally freaked out and it was probably a good 30 seconds before he was able to tell me my name. He has felt really upset and scared about this "episode" all day. In fact he almost came home from work and this is something he never does. He told me this evening although this exact situation has not happened before he sometimes is driving and then realizes that he doesn't know where he is or how he got there. He said in those cases within a few seconds or less than a minute he has figured out where he is and is not really lost just momentarily unsure. He is 51yrs old and I would say not in the greatest health (big drinker, back probs, on blood thinners, mental health issues - anxiety, depression, PTSD). Last night he did not get a great sleep and was tired when this happened.
Is this something we need to worry about?? I am concerned but have told him that we will just watch and see if it happens again. He's worried its early Alzheimers of course.
I guess I'm just wondering what others think about this.
Thanks in advance
A

Old 08-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Concerned

With the long list of other medical concerns he has I would check out other possible causes. It could be a function of exhaustion, anxiety, medication, alcohol, vitamin deficiency... It could also be a TIA (mini stroke), or other medical condition. It doesn't have to be EOAD. There are many treatable causes for such lapses of memory.

EOAD not only affects memory but all other cognitive function. You will see personality and behavior changes, difficulties with spacial thinking, changes in his ability to solve problems and follow directions, withdrawal, poor judgement, inability to retrace steps. Many of these changes will be noticed before the memory loss is noticed.

If he remembers quickly what he has forgotten or can retrace his steps to find that memory again it is probably something other than EOAD. My best suggestion to you is to talk to his doctor related to his memory lapse and see if you can find the real reason for the episodes. It is better to be checked out and know for sure then to remain fearful not knowing I do hope it is something fixable and simple!!

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Concerned

Since I have had TIA's and know there are other forms of dementia (vascular, for example, in my family), I lean in that direction. A doctor and tests may help but he really can do much to help himself with a change re the other issues you mention. A therapist might be advisable, good diet, exercise, and meditation can help a great deal.

His big leap is to want to help himself. Wishing you the best.

Reply Reply