It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

Hummingbird913 HB User
Looking for Family Member Support Forum

Hi Folks,

I'm not clear whether this forum is for patients, their family members, or both. My mother-in-law has Alzheimer's, her Mother and Sister both had it as well. I'm starting to worry about my husband who is about to turn 52. He seems way too young to me to be having problems but some weird things are going on and I really need to touch base with some people who may be familiar with this from a family member's perspective.

Please let me know.

Thanks you

Hummingbird

The following user gives a hug of support to Hummingbird913:
ninamarc (09-09-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User
Re: Looking for Family Member Support Forum

Hi Hummingbird -

Yes, you are in the right place! There are lots of us who are in different stages of dealing with this disease. I found this board over 3 years ago when my stepdad was diagnosed with a form of dementia. I am on the other side of this journey as he passed away earlier this year.

This board and the amazing people here were truly a lifeline for me. I am so very sorry that you are dealing with this disease with your mother-in-law and also have concerns about your husband.

I hope that you will find help and support here as I have. I try to check back on the boards to reach out to others who are walking this incredibly difficult road. I know others will welcome you and offer their insights. Feel free to post often. There is truly a very caring and knowledgeable group of people here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
(female)

Hummingbird913 HB User

Thank you so much! I am still unsure about things here at home. It's become very frustrating to try to make any headway with what is going with my husband. When I try to speak with him about my concerns he becomes uncharacteristically difficult and refuses to see a doctor. How do you get help in this situation? I don't want to be incorrectly diagnosing him based on his family history either. It's all such a mess.

The following user gives a hug of support to Hummingbird913:
scorptired (09-19-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB UserTC08 HB User

Hey Hummingbird - That's a tough one. We suspected something was **up** with my stepdad a good year and a half before we were able to begin to get him diagnosed.

Not sure exactly what symptoms your husband is exhibiting? Are there other family members or close family friends that could discuss seeing a doctor with your husband? You always want to rule out other possibilities of disease, etc., to make sure there isn't another cause of his symptoms.

Just as a precaution, you might want to start considering getting legal paperwork in order. Durable Power of Attorney, Health Directives, etc. Don't mean to overwhelm you, but these become essential for the ability to look after our loved ones if they are not able to look after themselves.

I know others will respond to your post. I just happen to be online today so right now you've got me

Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Hummingbird (love the nick name you are in the right place. I found this group about 5 years ago after Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Needless to say I have stayed around!!

You said your MIL, her mother, and sister all had Alzheimer's disease. You did not say at what age they were diagnosed. Was it Early onset before the age of 60 or late onset? The genetics are different. EOAD (Early onset Alzheimer's Disease) is more likely to be genetic though some do get it without a genetic history. Late onset Alzheimer's has a combination of little understood causes even though it may have a generic component. There are also many other medical conditions and medication side effects that can cause Dementia type symptoms. So you don't know what you are dealing with until he does go to the doctor and gets an accurate diagnosis. It would be a shame if it is something fixable and fear keeps him from finding out.

In my 50's I had a scare myself. Eventually we figured out it was Statin (lipator) that I had started taking for high cholesterol. I went off the medication and my cognitive issues went away. My Grandmother had late onset Alzheimer's. My Mom has late onset Alzheimer's. I had a reaction to a medication. I didn't think anything was wrong with me (typical in cognitive decline) and saw no need in going to the doctor. It was only when I forgot my medication and didn't take it for 10 days that I was clued in. My family and best friend knew... I didn't until I stumbled on the cause. So this gives me a bit of insight into hubby's resistance but also into your need to help him find out the cause.

TC is right in that you need to get the legal paper work together regardless of the outcome. Every individual needs a durable power of attorney, medical directive/medical POA, living will, and will. We never know when this legal paperwork is going to be needed. It's not just for old age or dementia. If there is an accident that leaves us incapacitated it would leave our family able to deal with our affairs. I cannot stress this enough. I thank my Mom every day for leaving me with the legal paperwork that has made my job, taking care of her financial and legal affairs, so much easier.

Men can be very stubborn about going to the doctor and if there is something causing cognitive decline, they do not realize it is happening, and it makes it worse. This is when you have to pull out all the bargaining chips you have. Bargain with him to go get a physical. Don't mention the Alzheimer's to him as a reason but just the fact that he needs a base line physical. If there is another physical problem that you can throw in the mix, then do so. Point out any physical conditions he might have that the doctor could help with. If necessary make him an appointment and tell him you will go with him on X day because you are worried. Pull the "if you love me" card if necessary. Just don't make it about Alzheimer's but about his health.

You can tip off the doctor who can give him a MMSE (Mini Mental Status Exam) as part of his physical. This will give the doctor an idea of his cognitive level. You could also look up MMSE online. You can find a copy of the test without much difficulty. There are 30 question you can ask. A perfect score of 30 is typical of cognitive intact individuals. One point is deducted for each question missed. The lower the score the more cognitive decline there is.

The resistance you see can be from fear because he knows what this disease is about and may be fearful that he does have it. The paranoia, poor judgement, and anger is also part of the disease. Beyond that if there is cognitive decline he may or may not be aware that his brain is misfiring. So he is either responding out of fear because he does have glimpses of something or he may actually have no clue what is happening and therefore doesn't understand your request to see the doctor. That is why it is best to get him there for other reasons and then deal with the dementia after you are there

I bugged Mom for a LONG time to go to the doctor. I was persistent and yep I angered her more times than one... but she finally went to shut me up and prove me wrong. I was not surprised when we received her diagnosis of Alzheimer's. I wish she HAD been right and proved me wrong But at least we knew and that gave us a path to follow rather than not knowing.

Beyond that, the current medication used for Alzheimer's is more effective the earlier you begin taking them.

It might help to know what symptoms he is showing, what medication he is taking, and what medical condition he might have?

I do hope you can get him to the doctor and find out what is going on. It is better to know than to guess. Hope to hear from you soon and know we are here for any help and support we can give to you

Love, deb

Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

Hummingbird,

Welcome aboard! It sounds like it is your husband's family who have this genetic factor when it comes to dementia or Alzheimer's. Did they all have late onset AD or some have early onset AD? It makes a difference. If it is late onset, it may be the old age.
For your husband, the only way out is to get it diagnosed. It may not be AD and it may be due to other factors such as med. or other illness. Sometimes vitamin deficiency may cause it as well. Don't panic but do check it out with his doctor before you think it is early onset AD.

Here is the place for you to vent and ask for info. I have learned lots of info. from this site.

Good luck,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 09-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
(female)

scorptired HB Userscorptired HB Userscorptired HB User

Hi, Hummingbird! Best of luck getting your husband to the doctor! I battled with my husband for years and finally threatened to divorce him before he agreed to see a doctor. Ten years ago I started noticing different things that were not kosher and demanded he see a doctor. His doctor recommended a memory lab, sleep lab, and other tests. Hubby then refused to go. Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I was getting to the end of my rope so I threatened divorce. He finally got the tests done and was diagnosed with advanced Alzheimer's. I'm not advocating threatening divorce just letting you know how difficult it could be trying to get them to the doctor. Good luck!

Reply Reply