It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

luvspiano HB User
Question about curtailing or stopping activities as disease progresses

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimers in March of this year and has since had to retire at age 62. His speech is becoming difficult for him, and he is slow in reading. He teaches a Sunday School class, and it is becoming obvious that there are problems. I asked a friend who is in his class if she had noticed things changing with him. Obviously she had, although she said all of the class had trouble with this or that (class is ages 60s on). I don't know whether to mention it to him or not about his teaching. I know there is coming a time (probably soon) when he will have to stop teaching. He enjoys teaching so much, and I really hesitate to say anything. I know this is not the end of the world, but we are new to this disease, even though there have been symptoms for a few years. I don't know what to say or not to say. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Question about curtailing or stopping activities as disease progresses

Your husband has lost so much of what he was able to do. If he is able to continue, even with some assistance or minor changes, it would definitely be a boost to his self esteem if he could continue this teaching.... especially if the participants are receptive to his teaching. Yes, the time is probably coming when he can not continue but if it is ok for now I would let it be.

Later you could find someone to co-teach with him. Leaving him with just part of the lesson to teach. Rather than just stopping the activity, give him assistance and let him do what he can. As his speech become more difficult he will probably give more and more of the actually teaching over to his "assistance" but still consider himself involved.

We truly need to focus on what they CAN do and try to modify what they enjoyed to fit their new level of cognition when possible. As your informants said so wisely... we all have difficulties with something

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply