It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
(female)

luvspiano HB User
Difficulty in remembering words as one is speaking and slow reading

Is this common in the early stages? I have heard very few things about this particular symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Difficulty in remembering words as one is speaking and slow reading

Yes, remembering words is part of the early stages and eventually develops into Aphasia. Many times you don't notice it at first because it is searching for words. They may come up with other words to cover their inabilities. One I remember well is my grandmothers. She lost the word "heavy" early on in the disease. Instead of saying something was "heavy", she said it "pulled down hard". The loss of words causes frustration for many with Az because they are unable to express themselves or explain how they feel. Mom has not spoken a complete sentence in the over three years. Now, she will occasionally get out a couple of words related to something visual or something in her mind but communication is nonexistent.

You also have to be aware of her comprehension of what is said to her. She may hear the words but not be able to attach meaning to them. It is as if she is listening to a foreign language that she does not understand. This is frustrating to her because she has no clue what you are asking her. It also affects her ability to follow instructions, carry on conversation, and understand the world around her.

In order to read you need short term memory to comprehend what you read. You also need to maintain your ability to understand the written word. Mom was a voracious reader before AD. I noticed she was reading less and less and it was taking her longer and longer to read. Eventually I would find books with book marks a few pages into the book. That is as far as she would get. Then she stopped reading all together.

Alzheimer's is not just memory loss. It is brain damage. That brain damage affects every ability from Memory to communication, to behavior, to ability to do things... and so much more. Very little is left in tact!

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
luvspiano (09-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
(female)

scorptired HB Userscorptired HB Userscorptired HB Userscorptired HB User
Re: Difficulty in remembering words as one is speaking and slow reading

My first clue that my husband had something going on with him was the inability to say certain words. Now, he cannot finish a complete sentence and like Deb stated, they don't comprehend what you're saying sometimes because they don't know the meaning of the words you're saying. My husband also started having a hard time writing and reading when the speech problems started. Now, he doesn't read or write at all. He cannot even sign his name and there's times when he doesn't even know his name when I call him. Patience is key when dealing with the speech problems. I usually tell my husband to slow down or back up and that I have all day to hear what he has to say. That usually calms him down and he can get his message across. It's frustrating for them.

Reply Reply