It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

fromptok HB User
ovoid plaques

Has anyone been dx w/ alz or dem due to findings of ovoid plaques in/on left and right frontal lobes and minimal demyelination!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
(female)

fromptok HB User
Re: ovoid plaques

My grandmother passed away a few years ago from severe alzheimers...is it hereditary? I'm just afraid my neuro is not taking my finding serious enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You need to ask your doctor for an explanation of the medical terminology as it relates to your diagnosis to understand exactly what he meant and the impact on your health.

A demyelinating disease is any disease of the nervous system in which the myelin sheath of neurons is damaged. This impairs the conduction of signals in the affected nerves, causing impairment in sensation, movement, cognition, or other functions depending on which nerves are involved. So it would depend on which nerve and where this is present.

Ovoid is medical terminology for oval. Plaque is a build up of a substance. So evidently on the MRI or CT scan (which is where I assume you received this diagnosis) there was indication of some oval shaped deposits. Was this finding from a brain scan? The plaques of dementia are not normally seen except in a very specialized pet scan with contrast. What you might see in an MRI that shows dementia is atrophy or shrinking of the brain. I have never heard of alzheimer's plaques called Ovoid Plaque... it is Amaloyd Plaque which refers to what it consist of rather than the shape.

Alzheimer's inheritance is not completely understood. Just because grandma had it doesn't mean you will have it. If grandma was fine that doesn't make you free of the disease. They just don't know the complete genetic link. There is a type of familial early onset Alzheimer's but this is a rather rare occurrence. Most cases do not seem to have a genetic link at this point.

What you need to do is ask your neurologist to further explain the diagnosis and what it means. There are times that very fancy medical terminology is used for something that is minor. The same type of fancy medical terminology can also mean something serious. So you need to ask for clarification of the terminology and how it relates to your diagnosis.

Love , deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
fromptok (09-18-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
(female)

fromptok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
You need to ask your doctor for an explanation of the medical terminology as it relates to your diagnosis to understand exactly what he meant and the impact on your health.

A demyelinating disease is any disease of the nervous system in which the myelin sheath of neurons is damaged. This impairs the conduction of signals in the affected nerves, causing impairment in sensation, movement, cognition, or other functions depending on which nerves are involved. So it would depend on which nerve and where this is present.

Ovoid is medical terminology for oval. Plaque is a build up of a substance. So evidently on the MRI or CT scan (which is where I assume you received this diagnosis) there was indication of some oval shaped deposits. Was this finding from a brain scan? The plaques of dementia are not normally seen except in a very specialized pet scan with contrast. What you might see in an MRI that shows dementia is atrophy or shrinking of the brain. I have never heard of alzheimer's plaques called Ovoid Plaque... it is Amaloyd Plaque which refers to what it consist of rather than the shape.

Alzheimer's inheritance is not completely understood. Just because grandma had it doesn't mean you will have it. If grandma was fine that doesn't make you free of the disease. They just don't know the complete genetic link. There is a type of familial early onset Alzheimer's but this is a rather rare occurrence. Most cases do not seem to have a genetic link at this point.

What you need to do is ask your neurologist to further explain the diagnosis and what it means. There are times that very fancy medical terminology is used for something that is minor. The same type of fancy medical terminology can also mean something serious. So you need to ask for clarification of the terminology and how it relates to your diagnosis.

Love , deb
My neuro will not even discuss the MRI of my brain...once I mentioned I had fibromyalgia, that was it! She had a spinal tap done which didn't show up anything so she said, "I think that everything that is wrong with you is due to your fibromyalgia and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it." From searching and what I've been told is that fibro does not cause ovoid plaques so this is very frustrating to have a neuro say this! I've had 2 drs think MS due to all of my symptoms but both neuros they sent me to said no. My first MRI 6 yrs ago did not show anything but then this last one did. I have sinus mucosal thickening, ovoid plaques in/on left and right frontal lobes and minimal demyelination. I'm just trying on my own to research and find any possibilities of what may be wrong with me. I have no insurance so I just can't keep running to every dr and get this and that done on a very limited income. Also, I suffer from extreme memory loss...I can hardly remember any of my past. I might remember a few things after someone brings it up and starts talking about it, but for the most part, it's just gone. I've also had extensive bloodwork done all neg, xrays neg, MRA neg, EEG neg. And I have very bad dizzy spells (which was the first to start of all my symptoms) and was on no meds when all my symptoms started. Here is a copy of what I posted on another board about dizziness...My "dizziness" as I'll call it, started in June '05 while on a road trip. The only way I can explain them is as follows...I can always tell when it is going to start because my eyes feel funny and my temples feel like they're throbbing. Then it starts at my forehead and goes to the crown of my head, back and forth like a wave and my eyes feel like they are crossing and spinning but they're not because I've looked in a mirror when this happens and they're not moving. I feel like everything is swaying, become off balance and hard to focus. This only lasts for a few seconds and when it's about to quit, it ends at my forehead, feels like I black out for split second and feels like my forehead spams like 2-3 times and tightens and drawing forward. I have had a ton of bloodwork...all neg, EMG...carpal tunnel, MRI...nothing, EEG...neg, MRA...neg and another MRI and spinal tap which spinal showed nothing. But this MRI did show sinus mucosal thickening and ovoid plaques in/on left and right frontal lobes. I've had 2 drs suspect MS but 2 neuros say no! My most recent neuro wouldn't even look at MRI report...once I told her I had fibro, that was it and...no insurance, prejudice! Her statement was, "I think everything that is wrong with you has to do with your fibromyalgia and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it." So, she sends me out the door with a headache med (which I told her I do have headaches but not enough to take what she wanted me to take, bupar) and seizure med when EEG showed no seizure activity! Has anyone else suffered with these "dizzy" spells and dx for it? Any help or info would be very much appreciated.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User

Dear Ptok, I am sorry you are experiencing these very troubling symptoms, and I can understand your frustration in trying to get to the bottom of it all. As you know, MS or fibromalyalgia, not just classical dementias like Alzheimers, can present with memory issues as you are experiencing. The transient "dizzy spells" that you are describing, can you tell us how frequently you experience these spells, and have you notice any correlates in what might bring them on? For example, do they tend to come on when you are overly tired or stressed? Are these spells becoming progressively more frequent and/or severe? Might you consider these spells to be kind of like mini "panic attacks", and how long does it usually take before they pass and you recover? As you are no doubt aware, it might be difficult to pick up these by EEG unless you happen to be experiencing a spell while you are hooked up. You know what I mean? Perhaps your neuro docs are attributing these spells as a localized focal seizure or perhaps petit mal seizures? In which case the anti-seizure meds make sense. How long have you been on the anti-seizure med, what is your dosage, and are you experience the spells since you have been on the meds?

I am sorry that I probably did not answer your questions. Perhaps what I mentioned might be food for thought to get to the solutions you seek.

Last edited by Luau; 09-19-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

fromptok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau View Post
Dear Ptok, I am sorry you are experiencing these very troubling symptoms, and I can understand your frustration in trying to get to the bottom of it all. As you know, MS or fibromalyalgia, not just classical dementias like Alzheimers, can present with memory issues as you are experiencing. The transient "dizzy spells" that you are describing, can you tell us how frequently you experience these spells, and have you notice any correlates in what might bring them on? For example, do they tend to come on when you are overly tired or stressed? Are these spells becoming progressively more frequent and/or severe? Might you consider these spells to be kind of like mini "panic attacks", and how long does it usually take before they pass and you recover? As you are no doubt aware, it might be difficult to pick up these by EEG unless you happen to be experiencing a spell while you are hooked up. You know what I mean? Perhaps your neuro docs are attributing these spells as a localized focal seizure or perhaps petit mal seizures? In which case the anti-seizure meds make sense. How long have you been on the anti-seizure med, what is your dosage, and are you experience the spells since you have been on the meds?

I am sorry that I probably did not answer your questions. Perhaps what I mentioned might be food for thought to get to the solutions you seek.
Thank you for the response luau. They started out kinda like a flutter feeling and just a little dizzy feeling and usually lasted for a week or two when they first began and would come back every 4 or so months. They have progressively gotten worse over the 6 yrs I've had them and seems like they come back every week or two after they quit and keep lasting for a longer period of time...this episode I'm in now has been over a month. They are not triggered by anything that I'm aware of but I have noticed they seem to be worse as in one right after another or a few mins apart when I'm driving...it's literally hard to focus...even though my eyes are not really moving! They can come when I'm sitting watching tv, laying in the bed, walking, standing...just whenever wherever whether I'm doing anything or not. And, sometimes one day may be worse than another...sometimes they will come one right after another throughout the day, every few mins or every 1/2 hr or every hr or so....no particular set time...totally sporadic. I am not aware that the neuro even knows that they did an EEG either. She just thinks and stated she feels it's all due to my fibro...ovoid plaques can't be though. And, I haven't taken the meds she prescribed because I'm on a program here where someone helps me get my meds through the pharma comp and when the lady took the paper work in for the neuro to sign so she could get the meds for me, the neuro refused saying she wanted me to try them first cuz she didn't know if they would even help me. Well, whether you have ins or not and a dr prescribed med, you still go to a pharmacy and get it filled for a month or so...that's what this lady does and she kept telling her if she'd sign the paper she could get my meds and I could try them but, she refused! Also, I was not aware that EEG may not show....even with them doing that strobe light and stuff and make me breath weird, etc...?? Is what you are talking about...is it not evoked by something? Also, no, I don't feel this is panic related...it happens anytime.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User

Dear Ptok, again I am sorry that you are having such difficulties having a meaningful dialogue with your neurologist. Do I get what you are saying correctly? You are saying that your neurologist prescribed medication for you, but she refused to sign the script that she prescribed them? I am sorry for sounding befuddled here, but I don't get it. I wonder if it is a complete mis-communication. Do you have a trusted friend or family member who can act as your representative to speak with the doctor?

On to your "spells". Are you saying that your spells seems to come in episodes, and each episode can last weeks to a month, and then you get a week to month reprieve of no spell? While in the middle of one of these episodes, are you saying that these dizzy spells can come one after another, but each "spell" is short, lasting only a few minutes?

Also, i am not quite clear on your EEGs and/or PET scans. In your prior post, you said you were given at least 1 EEG, but your last post seemed to say that you never received an EEG. What I mean to ask is, have you ever managed to get an EEG or PET scan while you were experiencing the spells, or at least in the midst of an episode where you get the spells?

It seems to me that you are having trouble figuring out what your neurologist is telling you. Perhaps it is the ineptitude of the individual. But before you go that far, perhaps you need to have a trusted person speak to her to see what is going on. It seems there are many issues that can stand to be clarified. As I mentioned, it may be a simple matter of miscommunication. Sometimes, when you are the sufferer, it is harder for you to have a clear-headed dialogue with the doctor than it is for a third-party.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
(female)

fromptok HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luau View Post
Dear Ptok, again I am sorry that you are having such difficulties having a meaningful dialogue with your neurologist. Do I get what you are saying correctly? You are saying that your neurologist prescribed medication for you, but she refused to sign the script that she prescribed them? I am sorry for sounding befuddled here, but I don't get it. I wonder if it is a complete mis-communication. Do you have a trusted friend or family member who can act as your representative to speak with the doctor?

On to your "spells". Are you saying that your spells seems to come in episodes, and each episode can last weeks to a month, and then you get a week to month reprieve of no spell? While in the middle of one of these episodes, are you saying that these dizzy spells can come one after another, but each "spell" is short, lasting only a few minutes?

Also, i am not quite clear on your EEGs and/or PET scans. In your prior post, you said you were given at least 1 EEG, but your last post seemed to say that you never received an EEG. What I mean to ask is, have you ever managed to get an EEG or PET scan while you were experiencing the spells, or at least in the midst of an episode where you get the spells?

It seems to me that you are having trouble figuring out what your neurologist is telling you. Perhaps it is the ineptitude of the individual. But before you go that far, perhaps you need to have a trusted person speak to her to see what is going on. It seems there are many issues that can stand to be clarified. As I mentioned, it may be a simple matter of miscommunication. Sometimes, when you are the sufferer, it is harder for you to have a clear-headed dialogue with the doctor than it is for a third-party.
First of all, I have no insurance so I told my dr this and explained to her about this program I'm on to get help with my meds cuz neuro started asking me...well how are you going to pay for your meds, office visits, testing, etc? The program I am on, this lady gets my meds free through the pharmaceutical companies, based on income, and any med a dr prescribes, my rep fills out a paper with my eligibility that the dr has to look at and hand write in the med and dosage along with their license # and sign it, along with the origianal script for my rep to send in to the company so that I can get my meds. When this lady went to talk to the neuro and get her to sign the paper...she just refused, saying she wants me to try them first. What I was trying to say earlier, whether a person has insurance or not, when a dr rights a script...it's usually for at least a month and you still have to go to a pharmacy and get it filled and pay for that month supply...even if the dr wants you just to "try" it as the neuro stated to my rep. Well, my rep kept trying to explain to her that this is the only way I can get my meds was through the help of this program and then I could "try" it. She just refused! So there's no I way can "try" it if she won't sign the paper. I am on a sliding scale at my reg dr, on a program at the hosp that helps with testing and blood work but with the neuro, I had to pay $200 up front before they'd even see me and then $150 ever time after that. So, with limited funds, I just can't keep going back to her if she's saying, "I think it's all due to your fibro and you're just going to have to learn to deal with it"! And, try this med and come back in a month and we'll see how you're doing...if I can't even get the meds.
Yes, the dizzy spells come in episodes but lately they seem to come back quicker...1-2 wks when it had been a few months. And they only last for a few seconds up to a minute at the most. Sometimes it'll happen, stop, happen , stop all day long and then some days not as much and even down to a few times in a day...it's sporadic, never predictable when it will happen. But, I can always tell when it is going to start, as I stated in earlier post. I've only had 1 EEG beginning of this year and by the time my appt came, my spells had stopped. I've never had a pet scan. What I was saying earlier about my EEG is, my reg dr ordered it due to my dizzy spells, thinking seizures. But, my neuro didn't say anything about it or my MRI, she just kept asking me about my headaches and I kept trying to tell her, yes, I do get headaches but not often enough to take a pain med. She just kept talking about my headaches and my fibro.
I layed my reports and disk right in front of her to see and even asked her, don't you need to look at these and she said no. So, I think she is just brushing me off because I have no insurance...I just don't know. It's so frustrating when you know there's something wrong with you and the one dr you need to listen and understand, treats you like it's all in your head...literally it is, I believe with the MRI findings there really is something wrong with me.
BTW, just found out my other grandmother had dementia.

Reply Reply