It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
(female)

Maxcatsmom HB User
Itching with dementia

Mom is 89.. Diagnosed vascular dementia 5 yrs ago.... She is taking namenda and the excelon patch. Recently, complains of back itching and begins sobbing. There is no rash or signs of bumps, blisters etc. This is happening more frequently and is taking a toll on her. I have tried lotions, hydro ointment, powders, oatmeal baths, antihistomines but nothing works. Anyone else ever heard of this? She's going for a complete blood workup next week...vitamin deficiency, kidney problems. It seems she is allergic to her own body heat. Help

The following user gives a hug of support to Maxcatsmom:
ninamarc (09-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Itching with dementia

My Dad had Vascular Dementia and he did have episodes of itching. They were usually on his arms. It was a function of blood flow in that area... and in his legs. There is itching that can be related to Vascular Dementia. There is also itching associated with stress incontinence. There is itching related to hypertension. There is itching related to many different medications. Exelon has a side effect of itching as does Namenda. Itching is not always an allergic reaction and can have many different causes. It is not always associated with a rash. Finding the underlying cause may or may not be easy. I do wish you luck and hope you can find a way to relieve her distress.

Is her Exelon patch on her back? If so you might want to change the patch location to see if the itch location changes... just a guess

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
Maxcatsmom (09-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
dementia, itching sweating