It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

baseball HB User
back Again!

Well, My Mom is now not taking her meds! We have found pills in a lot of different places. I see her take them sometimes, she's just not taking them all the time. Her blood work came back and we can see her levels are all off. I think she doesn't know the time or day anymore so it's to hard to take her meds. We have one day of pills out for her marked morning ,noon, dinner and night. I called her doctor to see if there are any meds she can go off of The doctor said she needs them all. My sister is with my Mom from 4:00pm until bed time. I see my Mom 2 to 3 times a week during the day when everyone else is working. My Mom is not driving.
A nurse had told me that a Doctor can order an evaluation of my Mom to see if she is okay at home by herself. Has anyone heard of this? I also wondered if she not taking her meds is that making her memory worst? My Mom is on a lot of different meds, One kind of memory pill I don't know the name of it right now. I was thinking it can be that pill and her tyroid pill making her worst because she not taking it like she should be. This is getting harder and harder!
If some of you can let me know what you think, that would be great! Liz

Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: back Again!

Baseball... it is getting harder and harder because the disease is getting worse and worse... and Mom's situation is staying the same. You have to adjust her care to the new level of cognitive loss or life is going to continue to be miserable. Mom can not longer "remember" to take her pills so her care level has to change.

No she has no idea if it is morning, noon, or night. She may take the pills and move them so she will not "forget" only to forget where she put them. She may take none of them or she may take them all at one time. It is not missing the "memory" pill or thyroid pill that is making her worse. She is worse and that is why she is not taking the pills as she should.

It is very hard to accept that Mom is no longer able to be alone but I truly believe that is where you are. If she is not remembering her medication she is not remembering to eat. You also run the risk of her wandering off and not being able to find her way home. There is also the potential for accidents and other dangerous incidents that she would not know how to handle. We all want to "keep Mom at home" as long as possible but we can not leave them alone at home and expect them to function as if they didn't have dementia.

Each country and state has it's own rules and procedures for elder care. Here in NC if it is reported that an elderly person is unsafe then social services comes and make an assessment. If they are unsafe to stay at home alone then other arrangements have to be made... or they will do it for you.

Yes, I had this problem with Mom and Dad when they were home alone. That and other problems uncovered were the reason they moved to AL. Know Mom is not going to get better... She is only going to get worse. The only thing that can make it better is for her to have 24/7/365 supervision...

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
baseball (10-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: back Again!

Baseball,

Deb is right. It is the dementia that is getting worse so she forgot to take her med. She probably doesn't know what they are for so the pills are here and there.
In terms of memory loss, the pills won't make any difference. She forgets more because it is the disease that gets worse/progressive. Well if she needs some heart medications and doesn't take them, it may be bad for her heart. So it is important that someone is there to give her the pills. Don't expect her to remember even the med. box! She may be confused by the timing as well.
For now, you may want to consider hiring part-time caregivers in the day while your sister is not there to make sure she is fine. Alzheimer's or dementia requires different levels of care throughout the journey. She may need 24/7 care now so you need to find people who can take turn to do it. Try home care before you consider AL or even memory unit. It is slowly getting worse. There are many levels of care. When we cared for my late FIL, it went from part-time home care to 24/7 home care and to the memory unit.
It depends on her need.
Right now, she needs someone there when she needs medications.

Hugs,
Nina

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
baseball (10-01-2012)
Reply Reply