It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bbroke HB Userbbroke HB User
medical air mattress

Hi to all, has any one used air mattress for pressure/bed sores. Is it comfortable for patient and does it really alternate pressure points by alternate inflating and deflating of cells. Thanks
Broke

Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: medical air mattress

There is special mattress for bed sores. The nursing home gave my late FIL a mattress that is good for bedsores and they also ordered the sheepskin mat to put it under the skin.
There are also good wheelchair cushion with special fillings so it is good for bedsores.

I don't know if your country has any special mattress. One can purchase the stuff that prevents bedsores but they are not cheap. You should look for the health products that are meant for prevention of bedsores.

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 10-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to ninamarc For This Useful Post:
bbroke (10-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.... We use them frequently in the facility where my Mom is. My best friend's Mom has one as well and it has been very effective. Use it exactly as directed....

Never forget that alternating positions frequently... and keeping them off the affected area... is always the first thing that should be done. Pressure sores are from pressure so keeping the pressure off helps as well.

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
bbroke (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninamarc View Post
There is special mattress for bed sores. The nursing home gave my late FIL a mattress that is good for bedsores and they also ordered the sheepskin mat to put it under the skin.
There are also good wheelchair cushion with special fillings so it is good for bedsores.

I don't know if your country has any special mattress. One can purchase the stuff that prevents bedsores but they are not cheap. You should look for the health products that are meant for prevention of bedsores.

Regards,
Nina
Thanks for prompt reply, yes air mattress available here for 35 to 55 US $ the set include mattress and electric pump which circulate air into It and make pockets like structure rise and fall thus shifting pressure points. I also found a mattress which has massaging device fitted inside. Will try both to prevent sores and blood circulation in skin.
Regards
B.broke

Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.... We use them frequently in the facility where my Mom is. My best friend's Mom has one as well and it has been very effective. Use it exactly as directed....

Never forget that alternating positions frequently... and keeping them off the affected area... is always the first thing that should be done. Pressure sores are from pressure so keeping the pressure off helps as well.

Love, deb
Thanks deb, luckily my mother's skin is safe so far, what I am doing is for prevention and to relieve her itch and to increase blood circulation in skin so that her restlessness come under control (though sounds very difficult). Now it appears that depression has given way to dementia and no doubt physical ailments are catalyst. Take care. Love
B.broke

Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Circulation can cause itching. It can also lead to skin deterioration. So you are doing good to keep on top of this problem. It is easier to prevent than to heal a pressure sore. Also remember changing positions often is important.

Early dementia is frequently confused with depression. The list of symptoms are very much the same. Mom's first diagnosis was depression but we quickly figured out it was much worse. Circulation problems can lead to Vascular Dementia and there are medical conditions and medications that can cause dementia symptoms... but diseases such as Alzheimer's and any of the other many types of degenerative dementias are separate and on their own. Yet the other medical conditions can accelerate the dementia and make it worse. It's a catch 22 of causes and effect

Love, deb

The Following User Says Thank You to Gabriel For This Useful Post:
bbroke (10-05-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #7
(female)

aras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB Useraras HB User

Yes, my mother has been in bed, except for brief periods, for two years. So far no bed sores. Hospice furnished the air mattress for her to use in the nursing home. If your mother is incontinent, it is especially important to keep her clean and dry and use the air mattress always.

Aras

The Following User Says Thank You to aras For This Useful Post:
bbroke (10-06-2012)
Reply Reply