It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
(female)

kirksfam HB User
Monitors

Can anyone recommend a monitor with two way communications? We're in a rental house, and I need one that doesn't require damaging the walls. I'd like to be able to hear and communicate with mom, who has Alzheimer's and generally stays in her room day and night going through things and looking at TV. Checking with her periodically isn't really enough to satify me that she's ok.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Monitors

I have never used a two way monitor with audio and video. The programs I have used involve two computers and participation on both ends. I do know of baby monitors with audio and video but they are one way only... you can view and hear but they can not see or hear you. I am sure there has to be something on the market but I am not familiar with any. Good luck on this one and let us know what you find!

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User

We used baby monitor to montior my late FIL's situation. This was done when he was able to communicate. Eventually if it is in late stage, someone has to be next to the demented person to make sure she is safe. In the NH, they have rounds every 2 hours at night to make sure the residents are ok at night.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
(female)

kirksfam HB User

Thank you for your responses. I'm gonna do a lot of research to see what I can find. Boy is this scary!!!! The whole thing!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

Kirks, it can be scary. The baby monitor does have a limited range and would not be very useful if you are not there. There are some that connect to the computer and stream information to you... I am just not familiar with any that are two way communication without participant participation. I do know the Alzheimer's Association has a program that monitors the location of the person with Alzheimer's through a computer using a locator. You do not get audio or video but you would know if she was not at home.

At first I had an in home care giver and then I opted to just move Mom (Alzheimer's) and Dad (Vascular Dementia) to assisted living where someone was with them at all times. OH boy did I resist. Those that were here then remember my feet dragging. But the first night they were safely tucked in AL... I slept like a baby! No, they did not want to go but for the first time in a long time I knew they were safe. Mom appreciated not being responsible for Dad and a big house. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier but I had to try the in home first.

Each is different. Just know that you don't want to wait until it is a crisis. Even if you are not ready now, please check out in home care and/or facilities. They are not all created equally and many good facilities have waiting list. There is also a wide range of options available. You will need to find the option that is right for your Mom. In home care agencies are abundant and you need to check references from those that have used the agencies. Care facilities range from AL to locked memory units to nursing homes. Finding the right fit is important. It is better to have a good option for the next step in your back pocket before you need it

Love, deb

Reply Reply