It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
(male)

Luau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB UserLuau HB User
Sleep - awake disturbances

Often I have heard of sleep disturbances when the individual stays awake throughout the nights. Has anyone heard of the other way around? They say they are tired/sleepy despite a solid night's sleep, and nap throughout the day. Then by bedtime, they say they don't want to go to bed. But once convinced to get to bed, they sleep like rocks.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Sleep - awake disturbances

I have seen both! Mom was one of those that stayed up night and day, walking and pacing, quick naps in a chair, and up going again. It was almost impossible to keep her in bed because she had the need to GO GO GO!

The little lady that lives next door to Mom is a sleeper. They get her up and dressed in the morning. She dozes through breakfast, sleeps in a chair until lunch, snoozes off and on during lunch, takes a nap in a chair much of the afternoon, might wake up for supper, then has a nap before her bedtime. She sleeps all night. She wakes up when she needs to go to the bathroom and sometimes for a meal.

I have also known some that used sleep as an escape. They are not truly sleeping but will shut their eyes and "zone out" rather than cope with the confusion they are experiencing. This also is a way to escape boredom. They may actually doze from time to time but it is out of bordom or confusion rather than the need to sleep.

Each is different and know anything is possible

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Sleep - awake disturbances

Like what Deb said, sometimes it is boredom and that the person has nothing to do given the disabilities that he/she cannot accomplish the regular tasks.
Sometimes the person may reject the activities. My late FIL was kind of antisocial except for work, so he tended to close his eyes right in the activity room and due to his old age, he slept it through for real! Often when I mentioned something he didn't care like photos, he closed his eyes on me and "dozed off"! I knew he was running away from the attention. Later when he got worse in the NH, he even closed his eyes or frowned on the situation when he saw people in the hallway talking and etc. In the end, he slept through it all. I tried to tell the staff that he was bored and didn't want to participate. Also he was old, weak and tired anyway, so he ended up sleeping through it all for real!
In severe stage, he slept most of the day except for the meal time. He could not find anything to do and could not write and read. Later on he failed to understand the caregiver who was hosting the activities... It is part of dementia.
If one needs to remind the person to go to bed, it is because the person has no idea it is bed time or that it is after supper time. The demented person has no concept of time anymore.

On the other hand, some people may have sleeping disorder. It depends on whom you are talking about.

Regards,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 11-21-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Reply Reply