It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

SuZQ29 HB UserSuZQ29 HB User
Help again :(

Just a couple yrs. ago I was a pretty active member of the board. I talked a lot about My Sweet Moma, now it's another precious lady with Dementia and she is only 69 yrs. old.

I am not directly involved with all that is being done but I do have my own opinion about things. Now they are having her go to a different family members house for a few weeks then off to another... I just don't think that is right, don't a person with Dementia need stability??? She can't stay by herself because she forgets to eat, bathe, or dress herself properly. She may come out of her room with 3 different sets of clothing on..

The family has had a vacation to Disney World planned for a while, now they have decided to take MIL with them. I have to know if this will help or hurt her?
She is like a child, she just does whatever she is told, always very sweet. Personally I don't think they should take her. It seems to me, her being around thousands of people and never being in the same place twice would just confuse her more.

I never had to face something like this with my mom so I really don't know for sure...someone please tell me the pros and cons on this matter....

Thanks,
SuZQ

Old 12-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB Userninamarc HB User
Re: Help again :(

SuzQ,

I don't know her stage so I assume it is like moderate stage. I agreed with you that they should not move her here for 5 months and there for 7 months. A demented person needs to be stable and cannot be moved a lot and she will be confused and will be fuzzy. Not sure how the families are able to deal with such change. Probably the family needs a break. This seems that an AL or memory unit is better for her so she doesn't get tossed around.
About Disney World, I have to say it depends. The key is they have to understand her dementia. She will be afraid of noise or crowd. She will be confused with the place and can get lost. Someone has to be near her all the time. SHe needs her own personal caregiver to be next to her to guide her. If necesssary, she may need to go back to the hotel earlier. I am surprised that they are not worried that she would get lost. Also it is hard to clean her on the road and she will make a lot of fuzz. If they are not afraid of this mess, go ahead try and see. She will be very confused unless they can find something that makes her happy. (Like eating donuts and etc...)
It is true that she will be more confused. It also depends on how they cope with her. In the end, they will find that it is impossible to help her at home if they need to toss her around for different homes for "taking turns".
A nursing home is better for her if the families cannot deal with her and provide her stability.

Hugs,
Nina

Last edited by ninamarc; 12-09-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply