It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User
sleepiness in alzeimers and aging?

my grandma is suffering from very serious and debilitating alzeimers disease. she doesn't remember who i am, who my father is, who my grandpa is, or anything else really. even memories of her childhood area already gone, and having a conversation with her is impossible. i go to visit her at the nursing home when i can, and it delights me how optimistic and loving she remains throughout the all. she still tells me that i'm pretty and that she loves me, even though she doesn't know that she already knows me.

i am worried though. she's started sleeping a lot all the time. the doctors don't know what is wrong. we're happy that she's at peace but worried that one day she just isn't going to wake up. i don't know if this is just a natural part of aging, a side effect of the altzeimers, or something else. i'm sorry if this is a stupid question. i just want to know.

thanks guys.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: sleepiness in alzeimers and aging?

What you have described is nothing more than the natural progression of Alzheimer's and aging. I am dealing with the same thing with my Mom who is in the later stages. As the body begins to shut down they do sleep more and more. There is nothing you can do to change this.

I am sure the doctor's have checked medication to see if there is a medication side effect involved. Other than that, there is little that can be done.

Enjoy her when she is awake and let her sleep.

How is her eating?

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
(female)

soapandstars HB Usersoapandstars HB User

thank you for your response. her eating is alright, if anything she eats too much because she forgets that she's eaten. it's just the sleeping that's the problem, but the doctors say there's really nothing they can do. i get information about her from my grandpa, and he's not that into finding out every last detail. he'd just rather not think about it, because of how much it scares him.

i am so sorry you are going through that. i wouldn't wish it on anyone. i hope someday they will find a cure and we won't have to go through this. i love my grandma and it's weird to grieve someone's departure before they actually die. still, she's a wonderful woman, and she's happy. that's what matters.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User

You are so right Soap... it is her contentment that matters.

Her eating "too much" is ok. Yes, she forgets that she has eaten and wants to eat again but there will be a time when she will not eat. So let her eat. That does tell me that she is not in the late stages when eating is a bigger issue.

Find out what medications she is on. Many medications cause drowsiness. If that is not the answer then it is just where she is in her journey through this disease. As you said... just be happy that she is content

Love, deb

Reply Reply