It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

Emmasue HB User
Smile Waking up at night

My 84 year old Dad who has Alzheimers, is starting to wake up a lot during the night. My Mom who is 85 gets up each time with him, and puts him back to bed. Needless to say,this getting up every night is wearing her out. Can we give Dad an OTC sleeping med? We will call his Neurologist tomorrow to ask also. Was wondering. Or maybe some of you have gone through this and have some advice. They both need their sleep. Thank you.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB Userjagsmu HB User
Re: Waking up at night

Deb's mom had her night and day mixed up and she gave her melatonin . I do believe it took a bit to get going but it worked. I think she gave it to her as a tea around 7 or 8 at night. If deb does not chime in check out a search here on melatonin. Yes mom needs her sleep, you do not need both of them needing care. when they get up at night they can be so disoriented and may start to wander, make sure there are good locks on all doors so dad can not get outside.

Hugs Judy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
(female)

Annieland HB User
Re: Waking up at night

My mom has probable Lewy Body dementia and while she doesn't hallucinate, she has REM Sleep Behavior Disorder in which she thrashes and yells out in her sleep. What helps is a very small dose (.5mg) of clonazepam (Klonopin) about 30 minutes before bed. It's a benzodiazepine like valium or Ativan.

It really helps her get more restful sleep. When she had a stay in the hospital and rehab last summer they took her off it, said she wasn't anxious or agitated, assuming it was prescribed for mood problems. When I told them that it was for RSBD they said she'd been fine, no need to worry. That very night she went totally nuts in her sleep and terrified her roommate. Needless to say, they put her right back on the med and she was fine again. It's a prescription, ask any doc about it.

Annie

Last edited by Annieland; 12-31-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo

Reply Reply