It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

Bren448 HB User
Strength & Balance Question

My mom has a had a rough couple of weeks. She has fallen 3 times in the last two weeks...although to be fair, the last one wasn't really a "fall"...she slid off the side of the bed.

We took her to the dr. after the first fall because she did suddenly seem much more confused and weak. She is being treated for a UTI and/or sinus infection. Since then her confusion seems to have leveled out to where it previously was, but she seems to have lost strength & balance.

Here's my question...Is this a progression of the disease? Has she just lost that balance & strength?

OR Is this a result of the infection & can we expect her to regain the strength & balance?

The following user gives a hug of support to Bren448:
ninamarc (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Strength & Balance Question

Bren, I would answer all of your questions with... YES!

A UTI in particular and any infection in general can cause a spike in the confusion and behavioral issues. It can also cause a decline in abilities. Treatment of the infection will being them back but not necessarily to the level they were before. In my experience, if they are teetering on the edge of losing an ability... that loss tends to be accelerated by the medical episode.

Back in June Mom had a couple of falls. She was slowing down and a bit off balance but she kept walking. I was called on a Friday afternoon and told Mom was "limping", confused and a bit agitated. When I arrived I realized it was not a limp but a gait problem. One step and stop, three steps and stop, two steps and stop. The next morning she stumbled more than walked to the bathroom door, leaned on the wall, and slid down to the floor. She had a slight fever and was lethargic. That day she was diagnosed with a UTI which was treated immediately. In a couple of days the smile returned but she never walked again. It is like the straw that breaks the camel's back. It was just the last push that it took to take ambulation away from my Mom. I have seen this happen with a number of residents in Mom's unit.

So yes it is a result of the infection but only in conjunction with the progression of the disease. She may get some back but probably not all. You should know within the first few days, maybe a week, of treatment what to expect.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply