It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
(female)

Kitty D HB User
Alzheimer's - Dementia

Hi, this is very hard for me so my post will be short. My mom has Alz./Dementia and Parkinson's along with other health problem. My dad passed away in 2008 with cancer and I was his caregiver. We were blessed by him passing away at home. Mom has probably had alz and dementia for a while but Daddy was always there to cover her little forgetfulness. I became her caregiver until it got to the point of her not being able to stay alone. She then moved in with my husband and myself. I have fibromyalgia, periformis syndrome and several other health issue. I have always kept my health problems to myself because if I sneeze Mom thinks I'm dying. When it got to the point of her starting to fall, not taking her meds correctly, not eating well and sleeping all the time I knew something had to be done. She would have hallucinations and talk as if she were a young girl. I always said I would never put my parents in a nursing home. She worried herself sick about running me ragged and was running me crazy worrying about me. She said she thought it would be best to go into a nursing home. There are 5 of us kids and the other 4 had already encouraged the idea, I just wouldn't do it. Well, 6 months ago she went into a Retirement Center aka nursing home. It has been the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I know in my head it is the best move for her health but my heart does not feel that way. I know she would rather be here but she knows it's the best thing for her. I have rambled on and on and haven't even mentioned my question...She will all of a sudden get a HOT flash that you can see come over her. She turns bright red, is hot to the touch, sweaty and feels like she is on fire. Is this a symptom of one of her issues? Thanks for listening. So much for the short post......

The following user gives a hug of support to Kitty D:
ninamarc (01-30-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: Alzheimer's - Dementia

To answer your question first. Alzheimer's actually starts in the hypothalamus which is the part of the brain that control body temperature so it is possible it is the dementia causing the hot flashes. Niacin (vitamin B) can also cause such a flush. Actually there are a number of medications which have flushes as side effects. Low Estrogen can also cause flushes. Another cause can be low blood sugar. Perhaps you might want to check with her doctor to determine the cause since there are so many varied reasons for flushing.

Please do not feel guilty because you made a promise that can not be kept. There is not a person here, nor one I know, that wants their parent to be in a care facility. We want them health and at home where they belong. Or we want to be a super hero and be able to do everything for them. We make promises to ourselves or to them when they are healthy that we can not keep when they have multiple health issues. Then we beat up on ourselves because we can't be super human and do it all. With all of Mom's heath problems, complicated with your own health concerns, you did what needed to be done so Mom would get the best care possible. There is nothing wrong with doing that. No, it is not what we wish for, but it is what is best. Just be grateful that Mom is in agreement with the decision

Love, deb

Reply Reply