It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
(female)

meeata HB User
Unhappy 87 year old mum with dementia can't carry a conversation

I had my mum living with me for 2 years. She was diagnosed with dementia probably around 4 years ago. I think she had it longer. 3 months ago she lost the ability to walk and now she is sleepy way more than ever. She used to stay up all the time. Now she sleeps more. Yesterday she gagged on her food. Her eyes look more greyish and cloudy and lifeless. I am worried.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB UserGabriel HB User
Re: 87 year old mum with dementia can't carry a conversation

Meeata, this is the progression this insidious disease. It takes away one ability after another until there is nothing left to take. We want to "fix".... when all we can do is hold their hand, make them as content and comfortable as possible, and love them.

You are right when you said..... " I think she had it longer." It is suspected that this disease can be present for as long as 10 years before you actually seem symptoms. Behavioral changes are usually the first symptoms we see but usually dismiss them because they are sporadic and not constant. It is only when the inabilities disrupt life that we seek a diagnosis. This is normally in the late middle stages of the disease.

Is Mom at home with you now? I am not sure where you are located but "Mum" give me a hint that you are not in the US. If there is Hospice where you are, you might want to investigate that possibility. They have experience and knowledge... and can give you support and comfort!

The best thing you can do for Mom now is to give you your love... and the best thing you can do for yourself is to enjoy the moments you have left with Mum.

Love, deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

meeata HB User
Unhappy Re: 87 year old mum with dementia can't carry a conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
Meeata, this is the progression this insidious disease. It takes away one ability after another until there is nothing left to take. We want to "fix".... when all we can do is hold their hand, make them as content and comfortable as possible, and love them.

You are right when you said..... " I think she had it longer." It is suspected that this disease can be present for as long as 10 years before you actually seem symptoms. Behavioral changes are usually the first symptoms we see but usually dismiss them because they are sporadic and not constant. It is only when the inabilities disrupt life that we seek a diagnosis. This is normally in the late middle stages of the disease.

Is Mom at home with you now? I am not sure where you are located but "Mum" give me a hint that you are not in the US. If there is Hospice where you are, you might want to investigate that possibility. They have experience and knowledge... and can give you support and comfort!

The best thing you can do for Mom now is to give you your love... and the best thing you can do for yourself is to enjoy the moments you have left with Mum.

Love, deb

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

meeata HB User
Re: 87 year old mum with dementia can't carry a conversation

Hi Deb, thank you and you are right. She never used to sleep at all! She could be up almost 3 days straight driving us up the wall with her mean side of dementia. We had no sleep for almost 1 1/2 years. It was quite an experience. The past 2 weeks she has been really tired and sleeping a LOT! I don't think this is very good with the loss of her walking ability. Pray for her, thank you. We do live in the states. I have her in Kemper House Mentor (Ohio.) She is with hospice, not a life or death thing, hospice nurses check on her and we are able to have hospice pay for a lot of her needs, which really help! Thank you again Deb for the words of comfort for us, it means a lot. This is a horrible disease, one can never understand until living it through it with your loved one!

Reply Reply